IB executions speeds - what's yours for LMT vs MKT?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by KCalhoun, Nov 15, 2008.

1. def

def Sponsor

Read again very C A R E F U L L Y !

I'll quote and then explain:
    "On a market order, I blink and the order is filled. Limit orders sometimes get executed about 1/2 second before my display shows the price has been reached."

He is getting filled faster than the blink of an eye.

#11     Nov 20, 2008
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Thanks - agree it must be something about this particular pc/isp combo using the java platform (and/or firewall settings), as I also tried using TWS from my laptop last week while in Vegas and got fills within 1-3 seconds. I appreciate the comments, guys - thx.

gets back to troubleshooting,

-k

#12     Dec 1, 2008
  3. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Ok this is great, just got off the phone with a knowledgeable IB tech, apparently the "Pending" tab and portfolio have built-in delays, which you can modify down to zero.

I had been getting near-instant fills, as seen in the trade icon tab at the top of the interface; but it wasn't showing up in the pending/portfolio areas.

To remove the delays, from the default 30 seconds down to 0, I did this:

Configure/Order/DelaytoCleanupFilled

and changed the "30" and "10" second delays at the bottom, to zero each. Works great.

Another tip, you're supposed to be able to hear a sound when an order's filled, the latest IB build doesn't let you do that by default; to enable:

Configure/GlobalConfiguration/SoundManager

and click "browse" next to "order filled", then choose a .wav (like ding.wav) and now it'll play immediately once each order is filled.

a bit complex to figure out the tws, but worth it - great tool. It's come a long ways since 2001.

-k

#13     Dec 4, 2008
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sounds like you're using one of those 110 bps modems for teletype machines.

#14     Dec 4, 2008
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

No, as I said it's because there was a built in delay in the IB tws for pending orders; now everything is instantaneous once I changed that from the default 30 seconds down to 0 seconds.

-k

#15     Dec 4, 2008
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I was joking, glad you straightened it out.

#16     Dec 4, 2008
  7. nassau

nassau

I can tell you the last few days the fills on limit orders is very slow with even several flow through. We have had many part fills
    and the fills are very slow 3-5 seconds or more.

We have been short so perhaps that is one of the reason as we have had to wait until the contracts or shares were available.

w

#17     Dec 4, 2008
  8. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

good to hear it... so far I'm pretty much thrilled with the price and execution speed with IB; and their customer service has been solid too, of the 14 times or so I've called them this last couple of months, learning the ins and outs of the new TWS. Only one guy of 14 was a potatohead, the other 13 guys were knowledgeable and really helped.

I can't see why anyone would want to use any other broker... I mean at just $1/side, it facilitates small-share trading to test out different trading strategies with real trades, which I like a lot. With the volume and number of trades I do (30-50 trades in a day, on heavy days), it adds up re commisshes.

I'd been using cyber for years, but the new tws looks like a solid platform, no crashes/glitches so far in dozens of trades. I strongly suspect any IB-bashing here is done mainly by people who work for competing brokers :p

I just wish there was some way to dock the "trades"/confirmations window inside the main interface, so it's all in one place. But overall it's a great platform. $1/side and near-instant fills, I just wish I'd given it a chance a few years back (I didn't like the 2001-02 tws interface, but this new version looks and works great).

interesting re slower short fills; I'm interested in finding out where their 'short list' is, or how to find out if they have shorts in a given stock available, that's next on the 'to find out' list.

-k

#18     Dec 5, 2008