IB excel DDE TwsDde.xls file keeps hanging

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by extraMileage, Dec 29, 2010.

  1. I use TWS and the DDE for excel API.

    It's pretty basic stuff: I pull mainly current price data into the TwsDde.xls file and then into my own spreadsheet to track and monitor trades the way I like. I don't even use it for order execution.

    I was forced/urged to upgrade to the latest TWS build (910.9) a couple months ago and since then the excel file hangs as soon as I click "request market data".

    Can't seem to figure it. Downloaded latest API, got fresh TWSdde.xls file, etc etc. TWS itself works fine.

    Anybody else run into this problem and solve it?

    Running Windows 7 x64 (I had previously had issues with TWS when I upgraded to Windows 7 back in June, but that's fine now).

  2. What version of Excel are you running and what version is the dde file from TWS?
  3. Hi, thanks for the reply

    I'm running Excel 2010 (have been for a few months).

    My DDE excel file was not working so I downloaded the latest file from the IB website (twsddebeginners.xls) and had the same problem.
  4. J.P.


    This only happened to me once. I'm running 64-bit Excel 2010. I hadn't rebooted in weeks, maybe months. After I rebooted, everything was fine. Months ago I modified IB's workbook to suit my system, incorporating my own macros and formulas. I saved it in .xlsb format. It's quite stable and it now runs efficiently all day every trading day. So, when was the last time you rebooted? Maybe the solution is as simple as that.
  5. Thanks for the reply JP but, no, no luck on the restart (I restart pretty often).

    I'm not sure if it's perhaps some sort of macro setting, protection or otherwise as the app hangs when I click the market data button on both my the old and new spreadsheets...

    Mystery still unsolved.
  6. sleepytyn


    I am having the same exact problems except in Excel 2007. Have you gotten your problem resolved? If so, please share what you did.
  7. I eventually got a (slow) response from IB customer support. By then, however, I'd moved on and switched to the ActiveX-based excel connectivity.

    Here's what I got from tech support - not exactly a solution, but something.


    It is most likely that one of the programs is blocking or conflicting with the DDE communications. The instruction below, this will help you not to start programs that are currently installed on your system. It is feasible that one of conflicting programs is part of the list. You can uncheck some of the unnecessary programs then restart the computer and try it again.

    1. Navigate to Start Up.
    2. Go to START then click RUN
    3. In RUN window type, enter msconfig, then click OK

    4. Navigate to Startup tab and uncheck all unnecessary programs.

    5. Click Apply and OK
    6. Restart your system
    7. Then try it again
  8. sopey