IB Excel DDE freeze my computer forever

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by xiaozhi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. xiaozhi

xiaozhi

I upgrade my TWS and recently and now my Excel DDE does not work anymore. It freezes the excel.
    I did these things and none works:
    1. Reinstall older version TWS, reinstalled API.
    2. disable DDE and ENABLE DDE in API configuration.
    3. even I close everything, open a wroksheet, type in any cell with formular "=xiaozhi123|refreshrate!1" xiaozhi123 is the user name to log into TWS, this will freeze excel. NO idea how this happens. Normally it will tell me can not find servers.

Weird enough, I am installing api, they told me olepro32.dll is in use and can not be overwrite.

But when I am in windows safe mode, it can be installed and all dde excel works perfectly...
    Anyone know to to deal with this?
    Thanks

2. OLEPRO32.DLL is part of the VB6 run-time package. I would reinstall (in Safe Mode) the entire VB6 service pack 6:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290887

This will re-register everthing as well.
    Good luck and be sure to report your result.

3. xiaozhi

xiaozhi

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!REINSTALL IN SAFE MODE AND NOW SHOW ERROR REGISTER OLEAUT.DLL. BUT THEN IT WORKS BOTH IN NORMAL AND SAFE MODE.

IT SOLVE THIS STUPID MS PROBLEM.. NOT ON IB SIDE BUT ON THE FAMOUS MR. BILL GATE PROBLEM!! SHORT MSFT!!:)

4. Good stuff...glad to see it is working.
    To solve the OLEAUT.DLL problem, do this:
    Hit: Start, Run
    Enter: regsrv32 c:\windows\system32\OLEAUT.DLL

Note: if your windows directory is named differently,
    use it instead.

5. xiaozhi

xiaozhi

register does not find the program of regsrv32. anyway, I can use it now.

6. xiaozhi

xiaozhi

I started to have the same problem again and now reinstall vb6 package does not work and there is no regsrv32 in my windows XP professional...
    Also now, it works on safe mode only and after restart in normal mode, no luck at all... IB CSR did not respond to me for a week!!! what a crap...
    Anyone has similar experience. btw, I just upgrade to ie7.0 will that be the issue?

7. regsrv32.exe resides in your "c:\windows\system32" directory.

IE7 is still a "bad boy"...bad move when you installed it...now you are "stuck".

Your instability is indicative of a hard drive problem....
    best to reboot into SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT

goto the WINDOWS directory at the command prompt:
    cd\windows

enter:
    chkdsk /r

Let it run till completion (30 to 90 minutes)

Reboot again.

re-install VB6

If none of this works, you need to reboot from your original Windows CD/Rom and reinstall Windows in REPAIR mode. That way, you won't lose all of your settings.

Good Luck !