IB Excel API DDE keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Daal, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Daal

Daal

2. silexx

silexx

Are you using Google Chrome by any chance?
    We have noticed on several occasions that in certain instances, DDE will not work if Google Chrome is running. Somehow Chrome's inter-process communication interferes with DDE.

3. Daal

Daal

You are a genius. Its working now

4. So much for those overpaid and pampered programmers at Google.

johnnyrock likes this.
  5. Funny about Chrome. I switched from Firefox to Chrome a year ago because FF was getting big, slow and bloated. Chrome was faster to load and snappier in general.

Recently I noticed Chrome was getting slow and bloated and some things in Google Docs didn't work right under Chrome and work fine under FF. So I switched back to FF which had released version 8.0 in the meantime. FF is waaaaaaay faster that Chrome now.

Maybe you're right about pampered programmers.

6. More interesting: FF went from the 7.0.1 release to a whole new release (8.0) very quickly. It appears the release 8 development was concurrent with the 7 release....and that testing with it went well. Enough so that they just moved to that new release and likely a whole new code base.
    I must say it's been very fast and very stable.
    With the 7 release, my keyboard would slow down horribly...especially when I had 5 separate windows each with a dozen tabs open. Plug-in crashes were frequent as well.
    Indeed, I just confirmed that firefox.exe and plugincontainer.exe are now staying under 50% CPU utilization consistently. Previously, they would spike the CPU quite often.

BTW: I hate the fact that I cannot do that in IE 8 - have both multiple windows AND multiple tabs.

7. You are the freakin man! thank you thank you!

8. Does anyone know if this is still a problem? Does Chrome still interfere with Excel?

9. truetype

truetype

10. Thank you, truetype, for your reply. I know, I'm old and I am not motivated to learn something new as long as what I have and know continue to work satisfactorily to fill my needs. You'll be there someday, you'll see.

#10     Oct 1, 2017