IB driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by youarefired, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I think that this is a fair conclusion given the user reactions of the last 4 or so months.
    Some people definitely have vision at IB.
    Unfortunately they got themselves stuck in an unwieldy IT mess: Java. This used to be OK a couple of years ago as long as their aims were rather down to earth.
    Right now, they are faced with a tool ill adapted to a large scale project with major web application aspects. Java is doing very poor in this area and requires too much in programming effort to get things going. Not difficult to get yourself in a management bind on this.
    Google knew better. They chose different tools.
    Read more:
    http://www.webservicessummit.com/Articles/MovingPastJava.htm
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/beyondjava/
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/catalog/view/au/1794

#31     Oct 31, 2005
  2. Pondracer

Pondracer Guest

Looked more like they lost part of a cluster, either a server or network failure.

Didn't cost me any money (luckily) but it makes it difficult to pull the trigger on any large orders. Just too 'iffy' on days like today.

#32     Oct 31, 2005
  3. mhashe

mhashe

Still not up after 16 hours. Incompetence galore.

#33     Oct 31, 2005
  4. I had exactly the same problems today with all stop and stoplimit orders. They went away when I downgraded to TWS version 851.9

#34     Oct 31, 2005
  5. ADLE

ADLE

Oh! I was thinking it's only me, so I on last Friday did format C drive and reinstall everything but it did not help I got frozen screen again today morning few times , I had to restart my computer but it did not help I 've got frozen screen again after 15 minutes work of TWS after reboot.... :-(

#35     Oct 31, 2005
  6. mokwit

mokwit

Just upgraded. Now looks like I have to downgrade. Unbelievable incompetence. I have held back from criticising of late as IB seemed to be doing their best to address the issues, but if I had not read this I could have been wide open for expensive (MY EXPENSE) errors.

IB, save your money on that Refco acquisition, no institution will tolerate this, you will be paying for a client base that will vanish like snow in June once they get a taste of your IT dept and its 'test it on the customer' strategy.

I am not an IT pro but even I know that global banks tried Java 10++ years ago and immediately dropped it.

#36     Oct 31, 2005
  7. Did you even read your links? You posted links to open source java technologies.

#37     Oct 31, 2005
  8. Each time I want to open/fund an IB account, I see these threads and HALT!!!

If IB improved their tech platform/cust service they could in theory double their customer assets in three months... why they don't do that, baffles me!!

#38     Oct 31, 2005
  9. mokwit

mokwit

I agree, they get so much else right and then sabotage all that good work with their IT and customer service issues.

#39     Oct 31, 2005
  10. 10 years ago was 1995 and Java was invented in 1991. Nufff said.

#40     Oct 31, 2005