IB Downtime

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Cdntrader, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Just wanted to post this to keep up to date the rolling record in this thread for today's outages. (from the bulletin popup window) I also experienced intermittant quote outages. The reason for this as I understand it is because one of the main internet routes went down and IB was rerouted through Sprintlink (which is always poor).

======================================================
    To all users
    Wed Apr 3 09:45:28 2002 EST

We are currently experiencing order routing and price feed difficulties for some exchanges. We are working on resolving this as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    To all users
    Wed Apr 3 10:10:39 2002 EST

UPDATE: We are experiencing routing and price feed difficulty for some US equities. We hope to have this resolved shortly. Other markets are not affected. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    To all users
    Wed Apr 3 11:06:29 2002 EST

US equity trading is back to normal.
    To all users
    Wed Apr 3 15:33:25 2002 EST

Some customers may experience a temporary inability to route orders. We expect to have this resolved shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    To all users
    Wed Apr 3 16:42:52 2002 EST

Trading is back to normal.

#51     Apr 3, 2002
  2. ddefina

ddefina

I know added customers could cause the strain on the IB network, but I wonder if they've considered a Denial of Service Attack by some disgruntled ex-trader? Or some of those Al Qaida members trying to destroy our financial system. :D

#52     Apr 4, 2002
  3. def

def Sponsor

the problem as I undertand is not due to capacity issues but a series of hardware failures. The hardware is being upgraded/replaced.

#53     Apr 4, 2002
  4. Def does IB have a strategic plan in place for always having excess harware/software capacity in place to handle unexpected surges in network demand?

#54     Apr 4, 2002
  5. def

def Sponsor

sure, but it is not just network demand. hardware can also crash. the network guys constantly monitor the usage, cpu levels, memory etc. of the network and computers and have excess capacity in place. There are always a number of standby machines that can be inserted into production in the case of hardware failure or if capacity demands that they be used.

#55     Apr 4, 2002
  6. last couple mornings ib is showing % gain or loss instead of point.whats up with that.

#56     Apr 4, 2002
  7. Htrader

Htrader Guest

That is actually just an option on tws. click again on the column header to change it back to points.

#57     Apr 4, 2002
  8. m22au

m22au

I'm not able to login to IB this morning. Just getting a lot of "login in process" and "login in process attempt #2"

Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

#58     Apr 4, 2002
  9. 15:51:27 To all users

Thu Apr 4 15:51:27 2002 EST Please be advised: All systems are operating normally.

15:11:52 To all users

Thu Apr 4 15:11:52 2002 EST Some customers may experience a momentary inability to route orders.
    We are working on this and expect to have it resolved shortly.
    We apologize for the inconvenience.

#59     Apr 4, 2002
  10. IB almost hosed me today.i put in order for mrk pre market.canceled order right before open.one hour later i get a fill for 56.15 which was the open price but stock was trading like 55.70.i called ib and they said there was a problem withthe phone lines between ib and the nyse
    and it was "one of the dangers of trading online"and i was stuck.
    lol what a joke.luckly i held and got out even but sure ruins my confidence in ib.

#60     Apr 4, 2002