IB disconnection

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by 0008, Feb 25, 2003.

1. white17

white17

Stand alone.

#31     Feb 25, 2003
  2. Def,
    I use my cell phone to trade via WAP (GPRS connection). I fruequently lose my session with IB, not the GPRS connection itself. I can see why it may happen if I stay idle for a while, but it even happens if I continuously work my way through the WAP site. I am wondering if this is the way wireless internet works (since it is still not a proven stable technology in its infancy), or perhaps there is some kind of set up that needs to be done in the device I use. What do you know of this, if anything?

P.S. it happens at random pages at random times with random frequency.

#32     Feb 25, 2003
  3. def

def Sponsor

I'm not sure of the exact level of packet loss other than it has a very low tolerance (i.e. very small amounts of packet loss will create a disconnect).

es: no clue about wireless.

#33     Feb 25, 2003
  4. Good point... TWS does get disconnected quite often compared to any other Internet software I use along with it.

#34     Feb 25, 2003
  5. The CME sent out an email explaining latency problems with Globex today from 9:00 AM. until 10:50 AM. This may have caused some problems at IB.

FFastTrade did not have any connection problems aside from some delayed orders early in the day. I emailed a couple of other IBs that use TT and Pats and they did not have any connection problems either. Clients from all over the US were connected over the Internet using multiple ISPs without any trouble. With this in mind, I would suspect that the CME problems may have wreaked havoc with the Gateways that IB was connected to.

Riskless

#35     Feb 25, 2003
  6. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

I'm located in the Bay Area in California using
    AT&T Cable Broadband.

In the last 6 months, I've only had 1 disconnect using IB
    and that was yesterday.

I would recommend using something like PingPlotter
    to check if there is any problems to the IB Server.
    http://www.pingplotter.com/

If your ping is stable with no packets loss to the server,
    then the problem should be with IB's system and
    report it to see if it's an isolated problem.

Good Luck!

#36     Feb 25, 2003
  7. Whamo

Whamo

Right now I show 18 routers and who knows how many switches between my site (Atlanta, GA) and your router. There is bound to be some type of packet loss throughout the day with this many devices retransmitting the packets, I'm surprised that TWS isn't more tolerant of packet loss.

Right now (11:18pm EST) I show up to 8% packet loss on my ISP's 2nd router and a consistent 4% loss on IB's routers and 6 routers out from yours into the Internet.

#37     Feb 25, 2003
  8. jester

jester Guest

Sanjuro,

Funny... I sit next to a trader who use's AT&T broadband in the Bay Area also and has lost his IB connection in the last 2 weeks alone 4!!! times, (once it cost him around $400.00 when he had to call into the desk to get flat) , needless to say he's not happy.

J-

#38     Feb 25, 2003
  9. def

def Sponsor

I'm in over my head on this as I have no idea what the "requirements" are for a disconnect, the good thing is that they are not common and are a safety precaution. Thus, I assume the idea behind the disconnect is to alert a client to a poor connection and thus the possibilty that a fill or order may not be recognized.

As for the 4% packet loss you are experiencing - again, I am not an expert - but that seems pretty significant to me and you should talk to your ISP.

If someone is experiencing frequent disconnects, contact the help desk and someone might be able to resolve or help pinpoint the cause.

I'll reiterate that this does not sound like a server issue. There is a team of people constantly monitoring the servers and gateways. Nevertheless, I'll pass along the previous comments to the head of operations.

jester, pass your friend the link to the dslreports I posted earlier. I tweaked my home PC connection and the difference was night and day.

#39     Feb 25, 2003
  10. Here's another link to test pc performance and internet speed. If you register, your stats will be kept in database and as you make changes to your puter you can compare to past results.:)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/default.asp

I had a tws disconnect this morning also - didn't last long - was 1 rst one in a while.

#40     Feb 26, 2003