IB disconnected many times

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hermit_trader, Oct 7, 2002.

1. ddefina

ddefina

I waited 6 months for my last upgrade. Why take a chance if what you have works. No use being a beta tester.

#61     Oct 8, 2002
  2. Thats Ok but i chck for IB upgrade eveyday. I want the newest and best. I am not sure your probs are from upgrades are you? I have gad no probs with upgrdes but maybe you do but why?:confused:

#62     Oct 8, 2002
  3. def

def Sponsor

There is a new quote engine/delivery mechanism that has been making the rounds into the system. Looks like it hit globex. I did read the deep book would update more regularly (there used to be a purposlely timed delay). I don't know much else other than the quotes for all markets have been drastically improved.

upgrades: the upgrades have been beta tested but it is inevitable some bugs will be introduced from time to time as it is impossible to test every type of order/function/software compatability in a new release. For example, with DDE the programmers test with the latest version of office. However, those still using office 97 may end up with something incompatable.

ddef: 6 months is too long to wait. you really do risk that something will not work. My thoughts are that you really shouldn't get more than 2-3 versions behind as you can miss out on some of the improvements, fixes and new features. To be safe you can backup your current java applet on your PC in the event you want to roll back.

#63     Oct 8, 2002
  4. canuck

canuck

Hey Def,

Do you know if IB splits it's futures and equity orders onto different servers? Do problems occur on both futures and equity trading with the same frequency or does one have a more stable platform/server set-up?

thanks

Not currently an IB customer, but thinking about it, kicking the tires, so to speak...........

#64     Oct 8, 2002
  5. def

def Sponsor

Programs are split across hundreds of boxes. One route or exchange going down doesn't necessarily affect all customers as we have numerous T1's or T3's and gateways connected to the various exchanges. Exchange architecture and design is another issue. For example, rarely do we ever hear of any problems with ISLAND which has a very well designed and robust system. However, other exchanges upgrades have been riddled with reliability issues. In short, I believe our system has been very reliable and over time will get even better. But given that we route to virtually every market center in the world, and send out bulletins when there are any issues, we tend to get more publicity.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM me.

#65     Oct 8, 2002
  6. coops

coops

feeling lazy - :p

how to back up the current TWs version java applet? sounds very useful indeedy......

thanks

coops

#66     Oct 9, 2002

7. That redi/arca technology merger looks like it's a total nightmare lol.

#67     Oct 9, 2002
  8. networm

networm

I am just wondering why no broker in North America using telephone automatic order system as a kind of backup. In China all retail investors input orders simply by keyboard on their phones/cellphones. You don't need to talk to anybody and the broker only need a Pentium 2 to handle 50 phone lines. Everything is executed electronically.

I strongly recommend IB to consider using it as backup. The software maybe costs at most 500$ in China I guess. Even if they have to close customers's position manually during system outage, at least people don't need to hold half an hour to input an order.

#68     Oct 9, 2002
  9. The dudes that 'invented' ISLD were serious hackers. Thus, the serious performance.

The other ECN's hire programmers that get trained in College. Thus, flakyness.

#69     Oct 9, 2002
  10. The dudes that 'invented' ISLD were serious hackers. Thus, the serious performance.

the dudes are seriously RICH hackers .... I would think their net worth is more than most traders ....

#70     Oct 9, 2002