IB disconnected many times

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hermit_trader, Oct 7, 2002.

1. He's more interested in gloating about alleged profits than in reporting problems, the real purpose of this thread.

#41     Oct 7, 2002
  2. IB's only broker i've ever used so i can't really compare them to anyone else. i'd assume other brokers also have similar reliability problems but you hear a lot more about IB's just because so many more people use them..

so far i've been lucky that when IB's gone down i either haven't had positions on or it's come back on in a matter of seconds...

still, i think they could do a lot more to improve the reliability of their systems.

same old, same old really.

#42     Oct 7, 2002
  3. Not reportng any probs because i have had none ..IB rock soild here. Just for you to know tht all is not having this probs.thats all. no probsz to report here.:confused:

#43     Oct 7, 2002
  4. def

def Sponsor

I'm not logged on 24 hours and thus my reply at this time.

Looking at the logs from last night it shows that a server/gateway that was upgraded had some problems. It had to be swapped out. The swap didn't go as smoothly as it should have gone and thus the delays.

#44     Oct 7, 2002
  5. Def -

Are you saying that this will be an ongoing problem like the last set of disconnects from several months ago? If I recall it was several days of upgrades and other hardware changes that caused outages left and right.

Please be straight with us as I won't enter any trades until this is resolved. 4 more days like today I don't need.

#45     Oct 7, 2002
  6. def

def Sponsor

The information that I read is that the machine was swapped. Thus I assume it will not be a recurring problem.

I forgot to comment on getting desk trades into your position. Desk trades have to be manually moved from the IB help desk account into a clients position. A supervisor must submit the entry via the GUI. Thus the timing is dependent on the availability of the supervisors. I'll bring up the topic of attempting to get desk trades into the clients accounts in a more timely manner today.

#46     Oct 7, 2002
  7. oh man, "equipment upgrades". that's the oldest one in the book! :) only so many times you can get away with using that line..

IB must have the greatest equipment in the world by now, what with all the upgrades.. :D

#47     Oct 7, 2002
  8. mdmbud

mdmbud

I use to use IB and had this issue. Try having 5 e-minis and the system goes down for 20 minutes and you have to wait 15 to get through the phone.... BTW and the market is moving over 10 points against you....

I had enough!

I am now using Advanced futures, which I heard about on this board. Not problems and you get right to the trade desk, if needed.

Customer service actually cares!!

#48     Oct 8, 2002
  9. I also had problems last Friday and today. I was shorting eminis to protect long positions and lost connection several times. Also hit the cancel on an option bid and lost connection before IB received it and ended up paying high price while they were dropping like a rock. I love IB and have no intention of switching brokers but I sure hope they get this figured out soon. If we enter a stop or trailing stop and transmit before we loose connection will that stop also get lost if the server goes down or is it stored some where else? :confused:

#49     Oct 8, 2002
  10. def

def Sponsor

you can have the greatest equipment today only to be lagging behind 6 months from now. equipment is constantly being upgraded. any firm that doesn't regularly improve their systems will lag behind.

mdmbud,
    i sincerely hope you are not another plant for the firm you are now promoting.

#50     Oct 8, 2002