IB Disconnect Again

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by fredward, Nov 28, 2007.

1. fredward

fredward

Wow guys, lots of feedback and ideas. That's great. Sorry I did not get back earlier as I don't run anything more than I need in the daytime while trading to reduce the number of disconnects. Most days I ususally get 1, only in the morning and over the past 2 weeks all occur between 10:11 am and 11:29 am EST. None in the afternoon and the past 2 Fridays I've had none at all.

I'll try a few of your ideas and let you know. IB thinks it's a memory problem (RAM) as I don't get any disconnects with TWS alone but only with TWS and Ninjatrader.

I don't think that my problem is router related as I get disconnects whether the router is connected or not.

I've also dropped back to Java 5, version 1.5 -12 and tws 878.5 but no difference has occured.

My computer is really clean so I don't think there is any viruses but I will make sure the firewall has TWS as an allowed program. I don't think that is it otherwise I'd assume TWS would not be able to work at all.

Thanks for all your ideas and keep them coming. Glad to see I'm not the only loonie, from IB's perspective, out there.

Fred

#21     Nov 29, 2007
  2. cwb1014

cwb1014

Sounds interesting. What are "fast" options and how does one elect them? Is it possible I wouldn't have had to roll back to 1.5.0_14 if I'd enabled these "fast" options (see my post above)?

Many thanks in advance for your help here.

:cool:

#22     Nov 29, 2007
  3. chud

chud

I've been having this same behavior about once a day lately. TWS "pinks out" for 5 seconds or so, but I can see that the quotes are still updating.

#23     Nov 30, 2007
  4. fredward

fredward

Chud,

Exactly what is happening to me. Disconnect (pink screen) but still getting the quotes.

#24     Nov 30, 2007
  5. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

We are aware of the problem and are investigating it. Thanks to those of you who have provided information.

#25     Nov 30, 2007
  6. Funny
    I never have a problem with disconnects. I think it depends on your connection.

#26     Nov 30, 2007
  7. Thanks DAV. You and the other IB guys that stop by here are a tremendous help.

You get a lot of heat sometimes, but I think that's mostly because so many of us here use IB and we all want it to be "the perfect trading platform and broker".

Well it may not be perfect, but it's damn good and I make money with it almost every day... :cool:

Regards.

#27     Nov 30, 2007
  8. fredward

fredward

Wayne,

I have to agree. If not for the disconnects then I'm very pleased with IB. At this point it's a nuissance to me but when I actually loose money on it then it will become a bigger issue. It's only a matter of time. I'd like to resolve it before that happens.

Ninjatrader has been great for me. Able to have the trades managed by themselves (i.e. preset profit targets, fixed intial stop, trailing stop and move to breakeven all managed by Ninjatrader) with me adjusting stops via a click, drag and move stops in Ninjatrader charts when I need too.

If I didn't have this problem I would be able to focus way more time on my trading but as someone else said, it really gets your blood moving when it does happen and you are in a trade.

thx,

Fred

#28     Nov 30, 2007
  9. TGM

TGM

fWIW, today I had zero disconnects, freezes etc. I was told by a trading buddy to go into the taskmanager and set the javaw.exe to realtime (in the processes tab). This seems to help this new java ---or helps something---or maybe IB has got it straightened out now? Dont know---just thought I would add this simple procedure.

#29     Nov 30, 2007
  10. X-11

X-11

I had two pink outs on Friday with TWS and on one of them I also had Tradestation go "dumb" too so I think it was my ISP and not IB.

#30     Dec 1, 2007