IB Disconnect Again

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by fredward, Nov 28, 2007.

1. taodr

taodr

Also by accident found have to keep compression level for jar files "low". If on higher levels stickiness seems to appear.

#11     Nov 29, 2007
  2. Aok

Aok

Of all the front ends to use with IB, Ninjatrader is the most finicky. ZLT and ButtonTrader are solid.

Constant upgrades of TWS sans sufficient duration beta testing doesn't help.

Pink screen of death really gets the trading blood flowing eh?

:)

#12     Nov 29, 2007
  3. FWIW, i've been having similar problems lately. i run TWS and Quotetracker as well, but for me, QT is connected to TWS via the API and receives data from TWS. i seem to be having what may be two different issues. i get periodic TWS disconnects (pink screen). also, TWS crashes (complete lock up) on occasion. so i guess this may or may not be the same as what others are experiencing. i though it might just be my machine as it is long overdue for the ole' wipe and reinstall everything treatment....

anyway, it has made scalping rather interesting lately.

#13     Nov 29, 2007
  4. cwb1014

cwb1014

I'd been having actual disconnects frequently. Had to shutdown and restart TWS to get reconnected. IB tech support recommended rolling Java back to 5, Update 14 from 6, Update 3, as there are apparently some issues with the latter.

Followed their recommendation after reinstalling TWS and everything's now running rock-solid.

You may want to try this yourselves. For those using ZLT, the more recent version of Java, which is required for it, can be installed in such a way that it will apply to ZLT only, so you're giving nothing up on this front to try the rollback.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

#14     Nov 29, 2007
  5. TGM

TGM

Makes sense. But I hate start fooling with Java. That is always the kiss death for me. I wonder when java is going to release a new version so I can get off the 6/3 edition?

#15     Nov 29, 2007
  6. cwb1014

cwb1014

It's really easy. Copy JTS folder on C: to your desktop. Use add/remove to remove TWS. Remove all Java. Reboot. Go to Sun's website and search for Java Runtime Environment 5 Update 14 (or JRE 5 Update 14). Download it. Install it. Reboot. Reinstall TWS from IB's site. Copy contents of dyebhkezn and dyjkvesv (if you have one--this is for paper trading only) folders into the same folders in the JTS folder on C: Do not overwrite existing files when you do this. Reboot. Open TWS. It will come up blank. Go to File: Restore settings and select the settings you want (usually the most recent day) in dyebhkezn and you're done.

It works. Need more info or have any problems, let me know.

:cool:

#16     Nov 29, 2007
  7. Tums

Tums

my tws has always been rock solid.
    I always use the latest version. Not the Java tho. It is only 1.6.0_01. I haven't bothered the update yet.

I would do the following to protect the trading computer:
    -- check your firewall. make sure tws is on the list of allowed program.
    -- run spybot and adaware to clean the system
    -- don't run internet browser or email on the same computer (origin of most of the virus)

#17     Nov 29, 2007
  8. Catoosa

Catoosa

Do you have a broker listed in the Quotetracker "Trading Window"? If so, you may want to try changing to one of your other brokers in this window or disable the broker in the QT "Trading Setup". Changing the broker fixed this problem for me.

#18     Nov 29, 2007
  9. X-11

X-11

I have been getting disconnects from IB and I don't have QuoteTracker running so I don't think the problem is with QT. It is either a TWS problem or a ISP problem.

#19     Nov 29, 2007
  10. Personally I like 1.6.0_03 and to run TWS with a lot of "fast" options.

But, as said before you can run multiple versions of Java. If you are into computers then just find where javaw.exe is stored in each new install folder and change the TWS shortcuts property so that instead of pointing at:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe

it points at (say):

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_14\bin

Thats the first item on the Shortcut's target line.

#20     Nov 29, 2007