IB directed orders and conflict of interest

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by adamant, Jul 12, 2013.

1. kostia00

kostia00 Interactive Brokers

IB uses/supports native pegged order types on ISLAND, and as per https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=commission&p=stocks2, the higher API commissions do not apply to native pegged order types: see footnote "4. This charge does not apply to relative, pegged to market and pegged to midpoint orders."

#21     Jul 22, 2013
  2. It would be really great to have en exception for OPG orders as well. I quite often find it useful to direct an opening order to a specific exchange for auction. However in many cases the huge API direction fee makes the trades unprofitable, hence my system does not take them.

#22     Aug 14, 2013
    d08 likes this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

This is IB's Disclosure of its Order Routing Procedure and Payment for Order Flow:

https://gdcdyn.interactivebrokers.c...rmSampleView?ad=order_routing_disclosure.html

This document does, in many ways confirms your suspicion and observation. IB does NOT sell customers' order flows for money but it DOES receive payments in compensation if it routes customers' orders to certain liquidity providers on its so called ATS that is supposed to provide faster execution and/or better price so the end result is the same that IB has a direct incentive to route your orders in a way that it receives more payments for the orders. And that's probably why they are pushing so hard for everybody to use Smart Routing because under Smart Routing, it can route your orders as it pleases for it to earn those commissions but if you route your directly to a certain exchanges then IB loses that control so it raises the price of the commission and swallows all of any rebates. For tiered commission structure, it states very clearly that "it may receive enhanced rebate payments for exceeding volume threshold on certain markets but typically will not pass these enhancements to customers". It's very clear.

And especially for Options, IB even has its subsidiary Timber Hill as "a significant market maker on many options exchanges" and it actually pays IB any allocation of payment for orders and IB routes orders to Timber Hill first bypassing the exchanges but only when it's offering better price than other exchanges and Timber Hills earns a market-making spread. To me, that's very clear violation of conflict of interest where the broker is taking the other side of the customers' transaction and is trading against the client when all orders are supposed to be traded on an central exchanges. Otherwise how do we know that we are really getting the best price when Timber Hill essentially IB can be earning spreads at our expense?

#23     Mar 5, 2017
  4. JSOP

JSOP

Oh yes if you read the disclosure statement that I posted in my previous post:

https://gdcdyn.interactivebrokers.c...rmSampleView?ad=order_routing_disclosure.html

It states very clearly there that IB will convert your otherwise non-marketable orders to ISO, Intermarket Sweep Orders in order to get you a faster fill when you use Smart Routing and what that essentially does that your otherwise liquidity-adding limit orders would all of sudden become liquidity-taking market orders because it's hitting all of the exchanges all at once and taking out all orders sitting on the books regardless of the quantities there. So you will see that even when your order was executed at worse than NBBO which is IB's criteria for liquidity-adding on certain exchanges, you will actually be charged liquidity-removing commissions. It's great you got a fast fill but if you were looking to receive rebates, you are out of luck. And you don't have a choice, as long as you choose to use Smart Routing even if you specify to receive rebates, IB reserves the right to convert your order to ISO and there is no way for you to refuse this.

I find IB does this more to larger orders because I suspect that on smaller orders, IB doesn't really doesn't care to share couple of dollars of rebates with its customers but on large orders, it tries to earn back all of the rebates that it paid out. So I agree with you that even though Smart routing is advertised to be supposedly cheaper and reduces cost for customers but in reality it's actually more expensive for customers because you have no way of controlling where or how you want to send your order to achieve what you want and instead you are at complete mercy of a "black box" of an order routing system that you have no idea about and you are stuck with whatever commission that it dumps on you.

#24     Mar 5, 2017