IB difficulties

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by white17, Jul 10, 2002.

1. white17

white17

I have tried clearing the cache several times to no avail. I'll keep struggling though.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

#11     Jul 10, 2002
  2. white17

white17

Tried again with same result but a new twist. Now the IB home page freezes and I have to Control-Alt-Delete to shut it down. Only their web page is having a problem

#12     Jul 10, 2002
  3. Are you accessing IB behind your company firewall? They may block certian ip port.

#13     Jul 10, 2002
  4. white17

white17

Nope, I can't claim that is the reason.

#14     Jul 10, 2002
  5. I just got on to the commodities demo without a problem for the first time, out of the box.

What browser are you using? I usually like Opera but for the IB website I only use IE because it's got some off-brand HTML in there.

What version of Java and of the browser are you using? My guess from your errors is that you have an older version of Java and are not able to use some of the security classes expected by the applet which is why you are having problems with the login.

Try to use Java 1.3 and I would use at least IE 5.5 with all the updates.

#15     Jul 10, 2002
  6. If you decide to upgrade to IE 5.5 note the following:

"Notes: Netscape-style plug-ins are not supported on Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 (ref: KB article: Q303401 ). Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 still supports the Netscape Embed tag, which enables you to use components that achieve the same functionality as when they were built as Netscape-style plug-ins, but that are now built on ActiveX® technologies. If you want to continue to use existing Netscape- style plug-ins on Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 you should:Contact the manufacturer of your Netscape-style plug-in to inquire whether the manufacturer has a version of the component available that is built on ActiveX technologies."

Remove all your plug-ins before to apply SP2. There have been problems with this upgrade for browsers already having netscape type plug-ins.

#16     Jul 10, 2002
  7. white17

white17

Puffygums; I'm using IE 5.5 SP2 and my Sun Java is 1.4.0_01 that I recently downloaded from the IB site.

#17     Jul 10, 2002
  8. I tried Java 1.4 and I thought it ran slow so I went back to 1.3.

Check in the registry and see what your current Java version is. That is how IE knows where to look for Java.

Go to a command window, type in regedit.
    Then go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion.

Your CurrentVersion will say something like 1.3 or 1.4.
    What ever it says look at the 1.3 or 1.4 key and see where JavaHome is located. Go there and make sure there is a JRE actually present there.

Make sure ALL netscape style plug-ins have been removed. Go to Control Panel>Plug-ins and see what you have and remove them. You shouldn't have both a Java plug-in installed and then attempt to run Java straight from a JRE.

The last option is to complete uninstall all Java and reinstall Java 1.3 from Sun. Make sure the CurrentVersion key in the registry is correctly updated to reflect the Java version you want the browser to use.

#18     Jul 10, 2002
  9. white17

white17

PG; registry does not show anything relating to JAVA.
    hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE I HIGHLIGHTED IT AND THE RIGHT SIDE DIALOG BOX SAYS " DEFAULT.............NO VALUES SET.

#19     Jul 10, 2002
  10. Its buried pretty far down. Those folders open up. Go to-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion.

#20     Jul 10, 2002