IB demo vs the real thing

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by arzoo, Oct 28, 2002.

1. arzoo

arzoo

I just opened a new account and am transferring the funds over to ib. I just wanted to know how different is the demo from the real platform?

Reason I ask is I noticed that the demo keeps 'restarting' after a given amount of time, ie. starts 'loading in progress...' every now and then.

I assume it gets cut off and gets back on again. Is the real thing like this or is it just the demo? or is it my setup (did anyone else experience this in the demo)?

I also noticed that the movement of the bid/offers are slow. How much better is the quote on the real thing.

or do I have to use another quote service.

My connection goes through cable modem via linksys router.

Thanks

2. demo is not an accurate representation

3. alanm

alanm

arzoo said: I noticed that the demo keeps 'restarting' after a given amount of time, ie. starts 'loading in progress...' every now and then. My connection goes through cable modem via linksys router.

This should not happen, and usually indicates that it thinks it has lost connection with the server. It is possible that they put an inactivity timer on the demo (only) to keep people from using up all the avilable "slots". Does this happen while you're actively using it? Is it a particular time of day that this happens? The demo used to be down at the same time as the live system (23:30 - 00:30).

TWS does tend to notice connection disruption fairly quickly, so if your cable system is at all flakey (as many are known to be), you could have trouble.

I also noticed that the movement of the bid/offers are slow. How much better is the quote on the real thing.

I've got no problems with quote speed on IB. It tends to be ahead of even myTrack's speed around the open, at least for NYSE stocks. This is pretty good, since myTrack is pretty good.

or do I have to use another quote service.

Depending on how you trade, probably. TWS is just an execution platform - quotes are provided for that sole purpose. No charting, T&S, news, etc. There's a special deal going on with eSignal at the moment, and they also offer integrated trading (http://www.esignal.com/partners/ib).