IB datafeed and constant volume bars

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by just21, Feb 12, 2008.

1. just21

just21

What is the oscillator on the charts?

#11     Feb 12, 2008
  2. bighorn

bighorn

It's IB's pacing violation policy that keeps the data from loading quickly. Backfilling 50000 bars can take hours (only about 3 weeks or so on the 343?). Load several charts and it will take all night and then some. Open Tick will backfill the same data in minutes.

Another issue with IB backfill is that it sometimes changes the chart if you write over the collected real time data. Perhaps correcting for bad ticks or pulling from another snap-shot source. I don't know the why, I just know that it does. MC says it is a IB issue, IB says it's a MC issue. Go figure.

BTW, thanks for sharing your setup. I have been lurking around watching for your posts for a while; I'm just now beginning to understand it better. It took a while to find all the nuggets; you have them spread out all over ET!!

Thanks again......

#12     Feb 12, 2008
  3. bighorn

bighorn

A customized Ergodic courtesy of Proflogic.

#13     Feb 12, 2008
  4. Smoothed Ergodic. 49/147/49 Ave1/Ave2/Ave

I use the same indicator for all charts and all chart increments, stocks or futures or FOREX or commodities. When using CVB charts there is no need to adjust the indicator because the environments don't vary.

#14     Feb 12, 2008
  5. Your welcome cause I like to share.
    I can tell you the problem is an IB problem for sure. I have a programmer that works for me and he's de-constructed the relationship and found it's with IB.
    I use eSignal but at some point in the future, if Own Data settles down, I'll make the switch full time.

#15     Feb 12, 2008
  6. Be aware that just before rollover IB data volumes will shoot up because they include all the rollover blocks. Data vendors apparently exclude blocks that occur in both the new and old contracts but IB just gives you what they see from the exchange.

#16     Feb 12, 2008
  7. IB has many, MANY, did I mention MANY problems with their API !
    It's almost staggering. It actually can cause good programmers to break down and cry...it's that bad. There are just so many workarounds, and idiosyncracies...and BUGS !
    Couple that with the pacing limits and some architectural problems, and well then, it doesn't take an Einstein to see that you could waste a lot of time with learning their API and all of the quirks and limitations.

#17     Feb 12, 2008
  8. WRONG. It's IMPOSSIBLE to have a fast backfill with IB's historical data access due to PACING LIMITS. You get SIX requests per minute. Exceed that and you have violated the threshhold and must start again. So, sixty symbols will require 10 minutes AT A MINIMUM.....and could be much more depending upon the time frame and number of bars retrieved. 600 symbols will require nearly 2 HOURS to download.
    Snail-city.

#18     Feb 12, 2008
  9. Hehe, I know but you can't tell some people that. They have to find out for themselves.

#19     Feb 12, 2008
  10. bighorn

bighorn

Damn!!!! 5 for 5 today using the Proflogic way!!! And still had time to spar with the resident idiots!

Not bragging, just showing that it works once I was able to figure it out. 8 for 8 yesterday on ES and YM, 3 for 3 on Monday on ES. No losses this week..........yet. Of course, now that I've posted this, the jinx is surely set in place.

[​IMG]

Prof, I'm going to owe you big time if this keeps up. Again, many many thanks.

#20     Feb 13, 2008