IB data with Ensign...

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by jmiles301, Jul 25, 2006.

1. I by far prefer Ensign over Esignal. Its much more user friendly, but the key is that the IB feed, or IQ feed rarely crashes. The Esignal feed is notorious for crashing, and lagging.

I keep all charts active, I don't scroll. Get more monitors if you are a day trader.

#11     Jul 25, 2006
  2. Aok

Aok

Triple A.

What do you need from your charting?

Ensign. Probably the best charts of the 3.
    But no floating charts. Limited to 1 monitor or stretching your desktop across all your monitors. Best/most helpful website. Extensive video tutorials. Most expensive. I used Ensign for HSI, Dax with IB. No problems. Excellent with symbology help.

Sierra. Solid and inexpensive. Interface for me is a little awkward. Lots of options for timeframe/chart display.

QT. Best customer service. Good charting, unbeatable price. Biggest con is ZERO formula capability. You can write paintbars, but you cannot write your own indicators. Works with TI seamlessly if you need limited scanning real time.

As far as the thread is concerned IB data is not better than Esignal. Esignal data actually is OK. Not overseas though. It's just that it can lag and has reliability issues at times. Those times are usually when you need it most. Fed days etc. However IB and Ensign work fine.

#12     Jul 25, 2006
  3. mktman

mktman

AOK

I thought you used neoticker software?
    May be wrong about that.

#13     Jul 25, 2006
  4. Aok

Aok

Ive used too many.

For along time I used Aspen Graphics. Overpriced. Best charts visually. No exceptions

CQG. Almost bulletproof.

TS. Wince. Lots of features. Dont use brokerage except to get free platform

IRT. Underrated.

Amibroker. Not bad.

Neoticker. The best Ive ever seen. Most flexible, greatest utility. Better real time filtering even than RadarScreen. For the price, most powerful by far. However, Esig is the best feed, and I cannot in all honesty recommend them. IQfeed is quirky and IB feed is most problematic. Constant TWS upgrades do not help. IF you cant get your feed to be stable, you will forget all others. Extreme learning curve (2000+ pg manual!)but I found no limits to what can be done.

Sierra. See above

Ensign. See above

QT. See above.

TymoraPro. Excellent.

Just a list off top of my head. There are others.

Everyday I use 3 software. QT. Tradestation(problems last 2 weeks). Neoticker EOD.

If I could get Neoticker RT to work headache free, I would use them in a second.

Hope this helps someone.

#14     Jul 25, 2006
  5. jmiles:

I am not a full time trader but I noted the same problem before. You might want to consider the use of "stacking" charts on the same workspace. This way, each chart will be "active" and will refresh throughout the day and you can easily "tab" over to a new chart without worrying about refresh. Also, with a multi-mon layout, you could easily combine a lot of charts on one workspace.

I use this, for example, to place stock charts under my futures layout when I have some position trades to monitor. There are several ways to structure your layout with the use of stacking.

I have added a reference to some Ensign transcripts discussing this below:

http://www.dacharts.org/archives/Ensign_Wed_class_transcripts/stack-toolbar-QnA_01-18-06.htm

#15     Jul 25, 2006
  6. Thanks for the run down. I think between us we've used them all. I'm not looking to change anything now, but it seems inevitable that one ends up being forced to do so at some point, so I like to know what's available. I use QCharts for futures and some other stuff, and a broker package for stock trading now. They are fine for me, but I worry that ESig will screw up QCharts or raise the price, plus I resent paying exhorbitant exchange fees. At the same time, I don't want all my eggs in the IB basket.

#16     Jul 25, 2006
  7. I use Sierra Chart with IB data and have found the refresh to be very reliable. On the rare occurances where it didnt refresh you can delete the last few ticks of old data with SC and it will force a rerefresh which (over the last 6 months) has worked every time for both US and Asian Servers.

The biggest potential issue with IB data for SC or Ensign is that it doesnt include all of the highs and lows. It just shows you the last price of any 200ms period. There's a thread on this subject:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=73376&goto=lastpost

#17     Jul 25, 2006
  8. thanks

#18     Jul 25, 2006
  9. Arnie

Arnie

I've had this refresh problem also. Whenver I have called, the tech guys say I am the only one with this problem!

Anyway, I am working on a ESPL script that will hopefully take of it.

#19     Jul 30, 2006