IB connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by khorne55, May 28, 2002.

1. khorne55

khorne55

I would really like to open an account with IB but I cannot talk our IT dept into opening up port 4000. Since I am at work during normal trading hours, the fact that I can only access IB from home does me little good. Does anyone know how to get around this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ddefina

ddefina

Bypass the office network and use a modem. You might get fired though for the security breach. :)

3. khorne55

khorne55

I thought about that too except our phone lines are digital so a 56k modem is a no go. If I get fired then I can draw unemployment and stay home to trade all day to make some real money! :)

4. khorne55

khorne55

I just opened the browser demo at home and it opened up port 4000. Command netstat -an (in Win98) says I have a connection established on port 4000 only after I open the browser demo. Thanks for the link, I need to test out that Hummingbird SOCKS client.

5. ddefina

ddefina

I believe there is a conversion kit to convert Digital to Analog at Radio Shack, etc.... Probably not a good option though. Better to become buddies with the IT department. :D

6. MrX

MrX

Just curious did you find a solution yet? If so what?

7. A few years ago I used to try to trade from work. It was one of the biggest mistakes. Do not trade from work. You need full focus to trade and no matter how casual people are at work, others will talk.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to trade at work. What to do? If your company actualy utilizes its flex time policy (which I'm sure it has) you can trade the first hour from home (as least a day or so per week). The first hour probably has 30 or 40% of the price action for the day.