IB connection problems AGAIN

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Tech Analysis, May 7, 2002.

1. ddefina

ddefina

Bad day mbg? I've felt the same way a few times, but I don't see anyone else trying to offer the same deal. I hope they use their increased customer base to hire/purchase better hardware/ technical people soon. Or even charge a little more to improve things.

RE: slippage problems on the Best routing, I haven't had that problem?

#31     May 7, 2002
  2. DaveN- i use a small IB who clears thru RCG. $7 r/t but at least it doesnt give gray hairs. i got enough of them. I do not not get commision but anyone can PM me for details since we are not supposed to use the board to advertise.

#32     May 7, 2002
  3. I yelled at my landlord for going down in the phone box (I have 5 lines and he still has the first nickel he ever made). Then I yelled at the ISP. They set me up with a new internet connection. They saw numerous "packet loss" somethings. It kept happening.

So then I got the IB bulletin. Stunned that the standalone can disconnect me from my ISP, I called ISP tech support again and they said it can happen.

I don't know what to do about IB. Seems pretty clear they are in some kind of trouble which is either technical or financial or both.

Geo.

#33     May 7, 2002
  4. Yeah I'm sick of blaming my ISP, cable modem, network card, operating system, etc for their shitty service lately.

Personally, I'm giving them only a little more time before I go somewhere else. I left Datek because for 3 months all I heard was excuses and constant bullshitting about their site problems, moving from NY to NJ, upgrades, etc etc. This game is tough enough as it is without having a broker busting my balls every other day with the same old technical issues.

They release a new version of their trading platform almost weekly and like someone else said, they introduce 2 bugs for every one they fix. I don't like the Java language for trading, or anything else for that matter. It's a glorified toy for creating fancy websites, not for the handling of serious money. Let them create a Win- or Linux-based trading platform that at least won't rely on Java. What will the next release be based on, Shockwave?

#34     May 7, 2002
  5. Amen to that Brother, amen to that... :D

#35     May 7, 2002
  6. Dude! Daring to criticize Java! I can't say that without being blasted for being an ignorant bum and I see two post in the same thread pointing out what a piece of crapola kludge it is....

This site is great. I'm in heaven :D

#36     May 7, 2002
  7. All I can say is that every time I visit a website and I have problems it's always a damn Javascript that causes it! Browsing has been such a pain in the a$$ lately because of Java this and Java that. I can't count how many times a week I have to close most or all of my open IE windows because some errant Javascript got out of hand and locked up not only that window but all the other IE ones as well.

And this is our trading platform ????

#37     May 7, 2002
  8. Datek's Streamer was a Java applet and that was also an adventure. There were some times when it would just refuse to load, sometimes it would stall, restart slowly, stall again, then "play back" the prices as if it was on a time lapse tape. This was in Win2k, then XP, with 2 different cable ISPs. I run eSignal, a windows app, across 3 monitors from premarket through afterhours without a single glitch.

Java *sucks* for anything more than it was originally designed for - pretty websites and gee-whizzes. Keep it off the trading floor.

#38     May 7, 2002
  9. I trade through IB, and yes, I am not happy with the connection problems they experienced today.

However, I have learned to expect the unexpected, such as TWS outages, and have planned accordingly:

+ I have GTC open protective stops on all my orders.

+ I do not have any open limit orders waiting to be filled, unless they are part of an OCA group that contains both the limit order and a protective stop order.

-- ITZ

#39     May 7, 2002
  10. Josh_B

Josh_B

InteractiveBrokers, used to have another trading workstation version 3.0. It was discontinued October 2001. Some of us traded it until the last day.

It was the most reliable fast and easy to use little execution program that I have seen for remote trading. I think it was written in C++. It was extremely fast both on quotes and executions. I ran it side by side with RT3 and I thought I had found the best thing since sliced bread. I had been using the 3.0 from late 2000 till late 2001, and it might have gone down for less than a handful of times, and most of the downtimes were traced to ISP problems.

When InteractiveBrokers opened up the doors to the retail crowd, it attracted a lot of new customers. Low commissions were/are a great lure; decimals and lower ranges made it even a better choice. But it soon appeared that the new crowd wanted all the bells and whistles that they were having with their RT3, Tradestation, Cybertrader, and all the rest of the "high end" platforms. It needs fonds and adjustment this and colors here and this type of order and this functionality and more pretty colors and fancy pictures. They thought and maybe still think that all the "extras" would help them trade better, what a joke!!

Well, I remember early 2001 when the Java came on, all kinds of problems started with the Java software and traders were still asking for more and more. All that time the 3.0 version was running just fine and trades were going through at lightning speed. Few of us asked Interactive to keep the 3.0 version as a back up. The only favor we got was to extend its use from the initial phase out day of June 2001, to October 2001.

All I can say: IT WAS GREAT WHILE IT LASTED.

The more complex it becomes the more problems it will have. The JTWS performance stability and efficiency is nowhere near the older 3.0 version.

running out out space, cont'd next post

#40     May 7, 2002