IB Communiqué Sept 21,2001

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by wirelessbull, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Eldredge

Eldredge

I started a new thread for this, but I think this is a better place to post. This is a copy of an e-mail I sent to IB.

I downloaded the new TWS this morning - very anxious to use the P/L column. I really need a current statement of P/L for each position I'm in. Unfortunately, the P/L for each position includes carryover P/L from positions in that stock which were closed earlier in the day. While this might be interesting information at the end of the day, it is of no value to me for monitoring intraday positions. If you could provide the ability to see where I'm at in each position in real time it would sure be a big help.

These are the replies I received:

Dear Trader,

This is not how this feature has been designed.

Sincerely,

Aimee
    IB Cusotmer Service

And then a little later (I actually received the first one twice):

Dear Trader,

Thank you for the email, your suggestion will be forwarded on to
    our management team.

John,
    IB Customer Service

I'm a little confused. How did this feature work for the rest of you?

#31     Sep 26, 2001
  2. I agree. I need the P&L to show the current open P&L not the cummulative P&L for the day.

#32     Sep 26, 2001
  3. fleance

fleance

I agree that profit/loss on open positions is preferred. However, I would like to be able to see cumulative P &L also.

One solution is to make the P&L column header a toggle similar to the Symbol/Underlying column. Clicking on the P&L column would toggle between Open P&L and Tot P&L.

Fleance

#33     Sep 26, 2001
  4. Does anyone know what has been fixed? The web site didn't contain any new information

#34     Sep 26, 2001
  5. def

def Sponsor

the release notes can be found:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/html/User_Manual/Release_Notes/Notes_Index.htm

as for the pnl for each trade. I'll make the suggestion but it would require a different window. I guess it would have to be per order not per fill. I'll check in with John on the help desk in the US to make sure he forwards the info as well.

In any event, shouldn't trading decisions be made on price not whether or not you are winning or losing on a trade. just kidding but I couldn't resist.

#35     Sep 26, 2001
  6. Bravo IB - Update 721 works great !! :)

#36     Sep 27, 2001
  7. Def,

I, for instance, trade a portfolio of stocks. I often have 10 open positions at a time. Maybe I'm getting old, but for me it truly helps having the current open profit immediately visible for all positions.

Actually, I don't care if it shows actual P&L or just point gain/loss. The days "grand total" should be moved to the Account manager.

#37     Sep 27, 2001
  8. another way to provide open position P&L would be to add a "cost base" to the Account Managers 'portfolio' section.

Ideally, however, I would like to see the P&L column in the main trading window only reflect current open positions.

#38     Sep 27, 2001
  9. def

def Sponsor

vikana,
    i do agree, (just kidding about the comment on pnl) and have mentioned this during beta testing to the programming group. I think pnls will end up in the account window at some point.

the choice of days pnl per class or open position would be nice and I'll make the recommendation.

#39     Sep 27, 2001