IB commissions for low priced stocks

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Bitstream, Aug 9, 2006.

1. def

def Sponsor

some simple math:

1000 shares *$1* .002 (.2% is the max commish) = $2

1000*.01 (1 tick) = $10

You state: it is impossible to trade with this structure.

I state: Buy and sell for 1 tick -> earn $10 - cost of $4 = net of $6.

I ask: why is this impossible?

#11     Aug 11, 2006
  2. never touched stocks priced @1 yet, so u might be right there but on those priced at $3, commish for example on a 1k shares is $10 r/t.

#12     Aug 11, 2006
  3. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Looks like break even on 1 tick. You're shooting for more than a tick, though... right?

#13     Aug 11, 2006
  4. i shoot for much more otherwise it ain't worth it, but i've been proven wrong over and over and costs are killin' me...u break even on 2ticks--u gotta go past spread and commish.

#14     Aug 11, 2006
  5. fhl

fhl

Good question about commish. I look at these trades differently than bitstream, however. To me, the relevant numbers are how much profit. That is what is going to cover the commish. If a low priced stock is in the news or whatever and looks like it has a dollar or so range on it, then what makes the diff whether it is a forty dollar stock or a three dollar stock? You are still looking for a fifteen cent or more pop whether it is a low price stock or a thirty dollar stock. How much of the profit is eaten by commish is the relevant number, not how much of the investment. Low priced is a plus because it allows you to buy more.

Of course, playing around with a low priced stock for a few cents does not work with these commissions, and is best left to the swift boys, who have commish rates designed to benefit from those moves.

#15     Aug 11, 2006
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

Have two accounts, one at IB and one where you get a better deal for lower priced stocks.

#16     Aug 11, 2006
  7. ja, u are right and that proves my point ib has everythin' to lose by keepin' those commish so high.

#17     Aug 11, 2006
  8. Which firm then?

What's the price?

#18     Aug 11, 2006
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

Anyplace that gives you a fixed price for a limit order, unlimited shares. For example, TD Ameritrade:

http://www.tdameritrade.com/pricing.html

The breakeven commission point (not including SEC fees) would be about $5,000 worth of stock traded. At IB:

$5,000 * 0.002 = $10

So supposing you trade a $2 stock, you can trade 2,500 shares of it at IB and be at the $10 commission mark. If you trade 10,000 shares at IB you would be at $40, TD Ameritrade would still be $10.

I just picked TD Ameritrade out of the hat - any firm that gives you fixed pricing would do the trick.

#19     Aug 11, 2006
  10. zdreg

zdreg

when you lose a penny each way because ameritrade directs the order to nite in order to get paid for the order flow
    you will lose the entire savings on the commission + more.

#20     Aug 11, 2006