IB colocating nearby

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by just21, Jul 13, 2010.

1. cstfx

cstfx

Then can't you co-locate near that farm rather than waste the ping time connecting to US based servers since, I believe, you are London based? OR are there benefits to going with the US servers?

#11     Jul 13, 2010
  2. just21

just21

US servers are cheaper, probably trading cme fx futures or idealpro.

#12     Jul 13, 2010
  3. just21

just21

#13     Jul 13, 2010
  4. just21

just21

Any hosts in New York/Greenwich that any one recommends? My internet has just been down for 30 minutes.

#14     Jul 14, 2010
  5. Colocation will cost you $250-$500/month plus power, data and IPs (plus you have to buy hardware). Why not get a decent internet connection at your house/office?

IIRC, IB's quote servers are in Chicago but their main matching engines are in CT (Timber Hill) but this was as of a few years ago so the matching engines could have moved out to Chicago by now.

FiOs is only $80/month

#15     Jul 14, 2010
  6. just21

just21

A windows virtual server is $10 a month. I can only get sdsl in my office which is about £200 a month for a dedicated line.

#16     Jul 14, 2010
  7. cstfx

cstfx

Don't use a virtual server for your TWS application. If you do, you will come to love your UK dsl line.

If you are serious about a hosted server solution, find a dedicated server solution with it's own hardware and resources at your disposal, not in a shared environment that a virtual server is. The cost may seem high a bit a first (100-200/month) but the cost will more than offset if you take into consideration lost trades or executions due to lack of access.

Why not a virtual server? The resources on the machine you get are shared with other virtual servers, and as you know, TWS can be a memory hog if left running, even just the basic platform.

I use a dedicated server for my TWS as well as running it locally. The dedicated is for some automated strategies and also serves as a backup and for when I am traveling.

Just my 2 cents

#17     Jul 14, 2010
  8. Bob111

Bob111

for 200$ a month i can put the box right in my room and lease it :)
    is it possible? will my provider allow this?
    just curious

#18     Jul 14, 2010
  9. Code7

Code7

IB's quote servers are
    mktgw1.ibllc.com
    mktgw1.ibllc.com.hk
    mktgw1.ibllc.ch

and order servers are
    gw1.ibllc.com (and gw2.ibllc.com etc.)
    gw1.ibllc.com.hk
    gw1.ibllc.ch

IB seems to have "bad" latency for US futures because gw1.ibllc.com pings 40ms from Chicago. Unless you can use gw1.chicago.ibllc.com which appears to be an order server, not sure though.

#19     Jul 14, 2010
  10. cstfx

cstfx

I don't understand what you are asking:

can you lease out a server to someone else from your office/house/basement/bedroom?

If you are asking can you provide a service for me to purchase, then the answer depends on the type of data provider you have: most residential connections explicitly prohibit you from have any hosted services. Your data connection would need to be a business class line such as a commercial T1 or business class FIOS.

#20     Jul 14, 2010