IB Clients, do you use your security device to log-in?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Traderham, Jan 17, 2011.

Do you use your security device with IB?

1. Yes, I use it

56 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. No, I opted out

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. zdreg

zdreg

"BigFunkey, I'm not worried about someone hacking my computer, but I'm worried about a screw up on IB's end. A rogue employee, their system getting hacked, etc. "

what is the pt. of worrying? do something about it. split your account
    between 2 or more brokers etc., check your account daily which is automatic if you are a real trader.

#11     Jan 18, 2011
  2. You would be an idiot not to use it. I use my security dongles. Why risk putting your Margin accounts at risk because you cannot bother to spend a few seconds extra putting in the key.

#12     Jan 18, 2011
  3. mark1

mark1 Guest

There's a reason if the whole home banking world is taking that direction... because it's safe and it's idiot proof.... take a look around, 99% don't have a clue when it comes to PC security, but they still want to access their account on line..

#13     Jan 19, 2011
  4. As I posted in my last post, the banking world is going towards authenticating computers, not using some outdated third party device. I just find it cumbersome since I've moved from Tradestation, where they authenticate computers, to IB, where we need a third device. I log in often either using my phone, home computer, and my laptop. I guess maybe I just need to get used to it. But I'm looking into creating another user where only trades are allowed and no separate device for authentication.

#14     Jan 19, 2011
  5. the platinum is the really old device from like 2005, and i agree it sucks. you can trade it for a gold or aladdin, which are easier to use.

#15     Jan 19, 2011
  6. There are a lot of things about IB that I don't like starting with their platform, but they have great execution and the best rates in the industry. I don't know of any "perfect broker" yet.

Although I opted out for about 3 years and never had any problems, I will get the security device.

I'd rather be annoyed than taking risks especially nowdays.

#16     Jan 19, 2011
  7. tortoise

tortoise

Pretty simple solution: Just scan your code card, attach the image file to an email, send to yourself and save ... et volia, you have your code card available on any computer.

Don't opt-out. You don't want to find yourself holding the bag just b/c someone at IB's security department messed up.

#17     Jan 20, 2011
  8. sprstpd

sprstpd

So basically you are saying "Make it really easy for a hacker to break into your account by first just using a code card and second keeping hackable digital copies around. Then you don't get any of the security protection while making sure IB gets all of the liability!"

Sounds pretty slimy to me.

#18     Jan 20, 2011
  9. tortoise

tortoise

Damn, you're right. One thoughtless post. And now I've destroyed IB's elaborate security protocol.

I feel dirty.

#19     Jan 20, 2011
  10. sprstpd

sprstpd

Your suggestion completely misses the point of the security devices. Hopefully, if your account gets hacked, you won't be able to get reimbursed due to negligence.

#20     Jan 20, 2011