IB Chronic Data Feed Issue

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by rcj, May 25, 2009.

1. Hoi

Hoi

At that time IB started to transmit 10 rows Bid and Ask (instead of 5), so the problem is likely to show 2 times as many...

#31     Aug 13, 2009
  2. These designs faults are intentional. IB continues to update and claim they are the cheapest or one of them. My brother and I have been comparing their feed and the Bid Ask almost always lags or in not accurate. They will ask you to provide screen shots, your logs but never "really address the situation".
    Obviously these are money cash cows for IB with either data, smart routing, upgrading and releasing with known bugs as is evident in their release notes under the "oh we do this to provide a better service for our clients".

How many traders here have really every received a satisfactory response to an IB error let alone any remuneration. I have come to the obvious conclusion that IB knows their servers and upgrades have issues but it is far more profitable not fixing them.

I would never have believed the discrepencies had it not been for my brother and a few others comparing current real time data on receiving accurate timely fair data and executions.

IB almost always lags, is slower and the Bid Ask volume on TWS or Booktrader is not accurate. One IB rep stated, the volume can be off as a result of where Smart routing is looking to execute your desired position and what you are trading.
    Is he kidding me?

I will keep my IB account as my secondary back up now as it is established and am executing the majority of my trades else where. Already I have less stress with my Bid Ask freezing everytime the market is going to move or slow executions.
    It is not my internet as I have had it checked many times.

I am not going to recommend any broker but guys you should really check into what I am saying as IB in the long run will cost you more.

IB, there is always an issue. What every happened to simple? Obvious answer, you can't hide behind simple as it becomes clear much faster what is really going on.

I can add some more info if you like.

IB's MarketDepth-feed is from the very start (summer 2003, or was it 2002?) wrongly designed and implemented (I know this, as at that time I have deciphered the protocol to the bit and bytes). It is built to transport extremely fast, only the changes in the Depth-book, but thereby lacks (and that is the design problem) a "verify-completion-correction-recover" protocol.
    Until IB redesigns the whole MarketDepth transport protocol (inclusive error-recovery) we will see the problems stated in this Thread (and many other ET-threads and Forums).

Or it will show by wrongly sorted price-rows in one or both levels. Or there will be Gaps and standing still. This all will happen once markets become volatile and wild (news breaks or Opening). And can happen in one or a few tickers you are looking at (sometimes only ES or NQ on Globex, the other time in YM, or some Stock). Further: it's per Account so if you see it in one TWS-account, your second TWS-account is still working perfectly (I have two TWS's running myself).

Anyway: This is a design-problem in the core and thereby (very) costly to solve. I wonder if IB will solve this structorally, ever (as they are aware of the problem for at least 6 years, already).

It is not profitable to fix but more profitable not too.

Hope it Helps

#32     Aug 13, 2009
  3. You can feed eSignal real time stock/futures data into TWS if you believe IB's own data is too slow for your needs.

#33     Aug 13, 2009
  4. Yes, but how does that fix the issue if you are using their platform. The esignal data still has to be received and sent to me to execute and more important why should I have too?
    Their claims of faster execution and fair prices using smart routing are not true or at least in my case as obviously I can not speak for anyone else. I just find it very scary. I am not a big player. My account is not in the millions of dollars as I would guess most here are. I was only looking for a Broker who was fair, could accommodate me, a retail trader, with my very basic needs.
    I can only say for me, IB is not that Broker now that so many things have come to light. I am just giving you a heads up and letting you know it does not hurt and in fact should be mandatory for us the small guy (or girl in my case) to check out more of what is being said here rather than taking the point that the trader is just complaining.
    After all it is your money, I personally just know how hard it is to make it never mind having your Broker working against you on the sly.

#34     Aug 13, 2009
  5. Nice rant, but devoid of any facts. You could start by nominating what feed IB is "slower than".

#35     Aug 13, 2009
  6. The data feed does not matter as much as trades get executed at the exchange, not at eSignal or IBs data feed farms. IB doesn't "decide" at what price your trades get executed at.

I know many people with million dollar accounts at IB and trust me, noone is concerned they're not getting fast enough or unfair execution. "IB working against me" is a ridiculous claim. Just makes you look stupid.

If you find IB not to be a good broker for you just select another one. There are dozens of good brokers out there. Just go through them until you're happy. It's not a rocket science.

#36     Aug 13, 2009
  7. Hoi

Hoi

[/B][/QUOTE]

Can you please ask the moderator to correct your post, as you made a mistake with the QUOTE...now it looks that your text is comming from me...as my sign is below your post....(and I don't agree with your text at all !).

Thanks
    Hoi

#37     Aug 13, 2009
  8. Life 101... if it's free...
    The vendor bears NO responsibility for problems...
    And vender will not allocate scare resources to fix/improve free product.

What is rocket science about the above?

Therefore...
    IB FREE STUFF = CRAP = UNPROFESSIONAL

#38     Aug 13, 2009
  9. Yet another thread is hijacked by people who are either:
    - paid to slag ib
    - ib haters
    - a little bit stupid

Its amazing the combination of repeated errors (by he who claims to be a girl) and even the last poster. I'd call them twats but I can't be bothered today.

PS. A little bit stupid is rather kind.
    PPS. Why do I bother ... but ... its not free, its part of what one pays for with ones commissions. But it is the vendors decision as to what the customer needs vs what can be provided within that cost structure. For many styles of trading (mine for one) the data is perfect. The unprofessional label is in the twat category :)

#39     Aug 13, 2009
  10. How many of you have had the Microsoft problems you reported fixed to your satisfaction??? And Microsoft makes software for a profit. :D

IB haters please, please tell me what you love... in a different thread.

#40     Aug 13, 2009