IB Charts - upgrade requests

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by dougman100, Jan 5, 2007.

1. I think that's correct. IB's charts does not really have this limit, so it can easily backfill 90 days of 1 min data without being blocked by TWS API.
    Still, it would be nice if QT somehow allowed for manually changing the defaults. I have only about 10 quotations open, for about 7 charts at a time. It would be nice to see hourly's for a month or 2, with volume.

I agree with a previous poster that it is a missed opportunity for IB not to acquire QT as a partner. Maybe Ameritrade did it partly to cut of that very promising road for IB. If only IB would realise that their most important customers will never use IB's charts anyway, they could spare the effort and use the resources for (much) more important stuff.

Ursa..

#41     Jan 10, 2007
  2. My greatest need is to be able to quickly scroll between charts and look at a lot of different stocks. It is easy to do this with the bulls eye, but that is only for stocks that you have data lines for or find in ib scanner. If you find them elsewhere, it requires a number of clicks and time and is not really feasible. I would use the charts if I could do this, but since I can't, I have to use another charting package.

#42     Jan 10, 2007
  3. CONR

CONR

Exactly!!!!

#43     Jan 10, 2007
  4. clam61

clam61

actually when i see your name by the post i pretty much ignore it

forcing me to go back i see that you said it's abandoned. great, you said it was abandoned before i did, however i dont know what difference that makes. you can still download and try the application. it still works.

i have had quotetracker, but if you read my posts you would see i was asking about backfills for CME futures on the IB futures feed which i do not currently subscribe.

im looking for acceptable data feed/charting apps before i subscribe to one.

#44     Jan 10, 2007
  5. Would like
    1) A three line DMI with ADX -DM and +DM
    2) a two line MACD with a no histogram option
    3) CCI indicator where you can have more than one value such as 8,50 ala like Woodies indicator

4) being able to have multiple timeframes up at one time each with indicators

Thanks

#45     Jan 10, 2007
  6. And why is that? Not very nice. I really am serious in replying.
    I was maybe a bit harsh in rebutting your claim that IB would be great if it would have great charting. But I do really think that if you should not let your choice of broker depend on that.
    I know that, I did so several months ago. The point is, from the start it appeared you didn't know about the easy method of a separate charter and trader.
    When several ppl pointed you to QT you started talking about ibcharts.com and maintained that a good charter would cost hundreds a month. That was to me very awkward. This looks like you don't care what others have experienced in their long search for good software.

Ok, fair enough. The discussion got a bit sidetracked, but my posts were on-topic.

So, what did you think of QT?

Ursa..

#46     Jan 10, 2007
  7. clam61

clam61

actually i said in my post that QT was not that good. i actually do know about the method of using a seperate chart and a trader. its what i currently do.

i dont think QT is that great. i have not tried those expensive charting programs out there so but i assume they are better than QT.

perhaps i am spoiled. the first charting program i used was metatrader, and that is by far the best free program out there.

#47     Jan 10, 2007
  8. That explains (part of) the misunderstanding. Because you wanted IB to improve on the charting I assumed that you were a user of those, not any external program. And thus I assumed you were not familiar with QT or another external charter because, in my reasoning, why would you want improved charting if you have QT or anything else.
    May one ask which external charter you are using, then?
    You might be surprised. I have used several other charting tools in the past, but they always were limited in their possibilities or required a time-consuming setup. Also, many tools require you to open a trading account with the supplier, or a need a separate dedicated data-source (payed). Afaik, only Sierra is able to connect to different sources, as QT is.
    In what context was that, I'm curious. Metatrader is a client server setup afaik, and used in trader-rooms. On the website I can't find any price-info, so I don't know in which sense it is 'free'. I also can't find info about data-sources and how to connect to a given source.
    It looks good but it is not detailed enough to go by. Maybe you can elaborate a bit?

Ursa..

#48     Jan 10, 2007
  9. clam61

clam61

you must have went to the wrong site.

metatrader (www.metaquotes.net)

is free. this is what i currently use (i currently only trade forex but plan to move on to futures as well)

the problem is that the only people that use metatrader are horrible retail forex brokers. so what i do is open a demo account with one of them and use their demo for charting while i place my orders on IB. as you may know, there is no centralized forex broker, so sometimes the price on IB varies by a few pips with what i see on the chart

generally does this not affect me, but i would love to have charts that use the same data feed as what i trade.

metatrader is easy to use and easy to create custom indicators with. the only thing i woudl suggest is a custom timeframe option. but other than that it is great.

#49     Jan 10, 2007
  10. Yes, I looked at http://www.metaquotes.net/metatrader which describes the platform. I see metaquotes offers a trading account combined with a 'client terminal'. It sure looks ok at first sight, but it is indeed linked to a broker, like I said as many charting apps are. Some also use Tradestation this way.

Could you describe what feature you miss most in QT, re: your FX trading? I use QT on IB for scalping futures and have 3 different charts on the same future open, a normal 5-min chart, a 100v volume-bar chart and a 10-ticks bar chart, each with its own set of indicators and volume-by-price and bid-ask volume bars. I can not imagine any tool doing this better than QT does it, with ease and grace.

Ursa..

#50     Jan 11, 2007