IB Charts - upgrade requests

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by dougman100, Jan 5, 2007.

1. clam61

clam61

if i use sierra chart or quotetracker, how much intraday data can i look at?

for example, lets say i want to pull up a 288 minute chart, how far can the chart go back? one day? one month?

thanks

#31     Jan 9, 2007
  2. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

It's based on IB's backfill. Intraday goes back about 7 days or so.

Free version of QT will give you 2 days of intraday backfill. The program allows you to take screen snapshots. Once you register QT, you can get full (7 days) of intraday data.

Sierra gives you IB's full (7 days or so) of intraday backfill.

#32     Jan 9, 2007
  3. clam61

clam61

i forgot to ask, i am speaking about CME futures data.

ok i asked because i wanted to see what people would say.

i get different answers from different people.

one IB person said 30 days, another said one year.

#33     Jan 9, 2007
  4. The one year is probably correct from IB side, but QT is limited to much less than that.

#34     Jan 10, 2007
  5. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

For CME data, only 5 days at a time.

It is possible to get the full 30 days. Amibroker can do it. QT cannot. Haven't tried it with Sierra.

1 year is for historical backfill. Perhaps even hourly. But minute charts 30 days max I believe. IB rep or someone else will correct if I'm wrong.

#35     Jan 10, 2007
  6. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

One customers "obvious suggestion", is another customers "pointless waste of time". The features poll enables us to quantify just how many customers consider a particular feature relevant and to better assign programming priority.

We only have a finite number of programmers. Having a programmer working on say, developing the Aroon Indicator just because Ensign have it or because one customers insists that he can't trade without it is not a very efficient use of resources, (even more so, if you consider that charting is not our primary business).

#36     Jan 10, 2007
  7. clam61

clam61

have any of you tried ibcharts.com

it is the best one out there.

to me it is better than QT or Sierra or Amibroker

If it only had a scripting language it would be set.

however, it seems like the guy has abandoned the project and is not developing anything new for it.

try to contact him, see if you get an answer

#37     Jan 10, 2007
  8. GTC

GTC

At this point, I would not want IB to invest much time, resources, programmers in charting business. I would want IB to rather concentrate on fixing the bugs in regular orders and make the trading platform more robust and reliable.

Steve IB, I do like IB's features polls. Thanks for having it.

#38     Jan 10, 2007
  9. Via the API you can get 1 minute data for at least the life of a current futures contract ie 3 months+. It is a QuoteTracker issue - not IB.

Having said that, there are restrictions eg 60 requests within a 5 minute period, and downloading 1 days 1 minute data is equal to one request. Possibly QT took the decision to limit historical data size to limit support issues due to IB feed restrictions.

#39     Jan 10, 2007
  10. Clam, are u actually reading any of the answers? I said it was abandoned, a few posts ago.
    And what's with the question about backfill from QT? It is so easy to try out for yourself.
    Download QT, install QT, fire TWS, fire QT, setup dataports. Add a quote or 2 to QT, rightclick and open Intraday. Rightclick chart and backfill. Rightclick again and change colors, indicators, dataperiods etc etc etc....

Did you or did you not install QT and try it?

Ursa..

#40     Jan 10, 2007