IB Charts and Windows XP Registry

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by cscott, Nov 19, 2006.

1. cscott

cscott

My real-time charts on Interactivebrokers TWS trading platform have been disappearing on the last 2 versions of TWS (both web and standalone versions). I'm wondering if this is because the chart part of my registry is messed up since I've used 2-3 registry cleaner demos. Can someone tell me where the TWS charts are located in the registry so that I can remove them, and reinstall them. I want to keep my other TWS settings.

Another thing I do not understand is why QuoteTracker charts that use IB's data feed come up faster than IB's real-time charts.

2. u should have a folder named IBjts on your home directory or whatever is called on windows os. check out the contents, charts and settings are stored there.

3. cscott

cscott

I have the ibjts folder with files in it (and also a JTS folder with files), but what does that have to do with the registry?

4. well, that's where your charts are stored, u said u wanna get rid of em; just delete the files.

5. You're asking why a moped and a Ferrari run different on the same gasoline :)

6. Have you run regedit to see if IB uses the registry? Do a search for "jts" and that should find any references to the directory. I did and found references for the location of the app, uninstall info, and the registration of the OCX (ActiveX) component. None should impact charts.

Have you checked the configuration module to see if real-time charts are enabled?

Only an idiot would recommend deleting the directory without doing a proper uninstall.

In general with Java apps, the classes have to be loaded first before the chart can be created and this can take some time the first time but I don't know if this is what you are referring to.

7. cscott

cscott

I have ibjts folder for Standalone TWS and JTS folder for the web version TWS, and do not have a chart folder or any charts stored in any of those folders.

8. cscott

cscott

Yes, I've run regedit and searched it for "workstation", "chart", "tws", "interactive", and found a few things relating to TWS in the registry such as wiseupdt. I left what little I found because I was not sure what could safely be deleted. Did not think to search for "jts", though. I found some old programs and several sex sites listed in the registry, and removed them, so all was not in vain. :)

I believe you are right. I did not see anything in the registry that looked like it pertained to TWS's charts. I do have real-time charts turned on in the configuation menu.

FWIW, I upgraded to the new beta Java 1.6, and the charts still come and go. Maybe the problem lies in my java classes, as you mentioned. How do I check that when I bring up the java console?

9. When I mentioned the time it takes to load classes that was in response to the speed question v. QT. I have read that if you add "-verbose:class" to your start string (see below) that the loaded classes will be printed to the java console. I have never tried this so don't know what to expect and don't know if it will help with your problem.

From your earlier post I didn't realize charts come and go -- it's almost as if they are being garbage collected before they should be -- if that's even possible.

FYI, Here is the string that loads TWS on my system:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.0.jar;jfreechart-1.0.0.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx256M jclient/LoginFrame C:\Jts

Note that the the app is in the jts dir not ibjts.

Have you tried a complete reinstall? If you do so save your current dir under a different name somewhere so you can retrieve your layouts.