IB Charting.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by IBsoft, May 12, 2005.

1. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

Yes, we will.

#41     May 14, 2005
  2. kowboy

kowboy

Auto refresh two day charts.

Thank you ...Thank you

#42     May 14, 2005
  3. joesan

joesan

#43     May 14, 2005
  4. Hoi

Hoi

#44     May 15, 2005
  5. mokwit

mokwit

Also some of us trade things offered by IB that have very limited availability through the usual charting or backfill suppliers e.g TOPIX or HSI or will be able to backfill things like IPE crude for the period when we are asleep but it is still trading.

As Hoi has pointed out being able to chart IB's actual quotes e.g with spot forex is also important.

This is not contradicting my original point about not compromising basic reliability for the sake of backfill, scanners etc - just hold back on further upgrades until such time as the reliability related issues are cleared.

#45     May 15, 2005
  6. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

Extending the backfill from 1-day to 1-week required very little work. Hence, given the wide and persisting demand for this feature, we decided to offer it now.

Providing 1-day bars requires quite a bit of work on the back-end - notice that we are not offering it for long time periods on IB's own charts either. The work is planned, but as long as we have more pressing issues to address, it will have to wait.

#46     May 15, 2005
  7. Hoi

Hoi

Ah.. good to hear that it is planned (no problem, I will be patient). And yep, I noticed the Charts do not offer long periods as well (yet), but it would already be great when the API could have the same as the charts.

Thanks !

#47     May 15, 2005
  8. I think most would vote for more historical data upgrades before more chart features.

The data can be used NOW.

While the charts are months or years away from catching up to what is already available through other third party API providers such as Quotetracker.

#48     May 15, 2005
  9. I have to agree with these points 100%.

Charting is very different business and there are already DOZENS of charting applications which work with IB API, from the very simple to the very sophisticated (e.g. Ensign)

I'd be very concerned if charting functionality might affect the stability of TWS.

It's GREAT to hear that IB will offer backfill data of various timeframes. More history will be great. And it will allow apps like Button to offer even better charting (I don;t use BT as my needs are simple, but I think it's the best front-end of all).

#49     May 15, 2005
  10. Lets see.... the majority consensus appears to be that IB should
    quit working on it's charting because they should just stay a
    quote/order entry platform... Hmm...

I guess they wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of TradeStation then...

Which appears to have charting I believe in their arsenal...

Maybe we are all just paranoid IB might charge more than $10
    for it's data and charting if they ever get it good enough to charge for?

I still remember when QuoteTracker first came out it was simple and
    expanded it's abilities as time went on...

I would think that just because they are working on charting and
    of course BookTrader that it shouldn't affect TWS...

IB must believe they need to work on having a charting application
    to remain competitive or else they wouldn't be doing it in the first place...

P.S. As some of said, they would rather have IB work on it's reliability...

Perhaps other charting applications that are not Java have something
    to do with some of TWS's problems and having the charting come
    straight from IB would help alleviate those problems?..

I also realize that other applications such as QT, Ensign, ButtonTrader,
    and others perhaps feel threatened by IB coming up with charts
    and Booktrader so there is motive for IB to not do this?...

Thoughts?

#50     May 15, 2005