IB Charting.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by IBsoft, May 12, 2005.

1. Suggestions on IB Charts. Some of these may already be in the latest version, I stay back a few versions for stability reasons.

Tick charts (1-XXX ticks per bar)
    Full range of times down to 30 second bars
    Save study collections (at least 10 different ones) and have the study collection name on the chart
    Moving averages based on different time or tick periods on one chart.
    Ability to write dlls for them so that we can add extra studies if we want

Trend lines, parallel lines, easy drag and drop movement
    Andrews babson channels ... at least abililty to assign points AB and C and then move the centre point to change the slope.
    Save charts with all the lines on them
    Fib retracements, extensions and ABC fib extensions.

Excluding a dll interface, thats the minimum I would need before I considered them usable for my style of trading.

#31     May 13, 2005
  2. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

Thank you very much for your input. We will give it a careful consideration.

#32     May 13, 2005
  3. kowboy

kowboy

IBsoft,

Will you or will you not consider auto refresh on the two day charts?

Thanks

#33     May 13, 2005
  4. stocon

stocon

So where does the real pro go?

#34     May 13, 2005
  5. kowboy

kowboy

A broker with Instaquote

#35     May 13, 2005
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Yes, if IB is going to insist on providing charts, it is unbelievable that we can't even draw simple trendlines. (I'm not even suggesting line thickness, color changes, etc. Got to take small steps here.)

One minute charts should read (for example) 0945, 0946, 0947, etc. NOT 09:45:30, 09:46:30, 09:47:30, etc. How awkward.

Similarly, check out a five minute chart. The first five minute bar indicates 09:32:30. The second bar indicates 09:37:30. They should of course be indicated as 0930, 0935, etc.

And need to see at least two days of data on all time frames.

IB is an excellent broker. Continues to baffle me as to the lameness of the charting. Will admit they have implemented some improvements. But better charting is needed to be considered legitimate for real use.

#36     May 13, 2005
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I've been with IB for rougly five years now.
    I have relatively few complaints and have even spoke up in IB's defense on several occasions.
    I do however tend to agree with Trent.
    IMO they should stick with what got them to where they are now in the first place. Namely a stable fast TWS with very low commissions. Let someone else offer all the tootie fruity speed robbing bells and whistles. When you get right down to it, the cold harsh reality is that most of the people interested in such things bundled in with the TWS aren't going to be long term customers anyway. (no offense intended)

#37     May 13, 2005
  8. stocon

stocon

I think commissions are the key and they remain the best. if they lose stability because of the bells and whistles or use that to raise commissions then there may be a problem. Hey I can remember that platform being dn quite frequently in the earlier yrs but because of the commissions I felt it was worth it. I mean isn't the red light flashing just part of the deal?I always kept a safety valve with LW, but can't remember the last time I had that kind of problem. Come to think of it I think they are as stable now as they have ever been. Fine outfit .

#38     May 13, 2005
  9. I agree keep it simple. I don't care if you put tits on IB it is the ugliest software "alive". Please clean it up and give it some proper flow and form. Quite putting all that junk in it.

John

#39     May 13, 2005
  10. to steve or def,

why is there a gap in my idealPRO forex charts between 5 - 8pm EST, can you not trade forex through you guys between those times?

thankyou.

#40     May 13, 2005