IB charting vs. QouteTracker charting??

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by jimclark, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Thanks pal...did not know that I could do that, it's a cool feature but again...takes few clicks and not quite dynamic like IB so I have to manually.

Thanks.

#11     Feb 23, 2007
  2. Yes, the dynamic switch of 3 charts by scrolling through the portfolio is quite intensive. But I'd think (not tested) that this will take at least as long when doing it within TWS. My feeling is that QT is as efficient as is possible, given the demands and constraints. It's the backfilling that takes so long, even more so because IB limits the number of simultaneous and sequenting backfill requests.

Ursa..

#12     Feb 23, 2007
  3. Relleum

Relleum

I like the idea of being able to double click on a symbol in QuoteTracker, and have it auto load 3 separate charts with different timeframes. However, based on your explanation, I haven't been able to replicate this functionality.

For me, i double click on a symbol, and it opens a single chart. If i open an intraday chart, i see the crosshair in the top right. Clicking and holding this crosshair will give me a selection of colored crosshairs to chose from. Changing the crosshair to blue for two charts does nothing noticeable. If i click the crosshair, and then click a symbol, the symbol will be highlighted in a slightly different way than usual. But nothing changes.

Can you please explain in more detail how to auto open multiple charts, and to open charts just by scrolling?

Thanks.

#13     Feb 24, 2007
  4. click on chart 3 times...in other words open 3 charts and them click the "niddle" icon on top to make it dynamic.
    Then you can set time frames for each chart indivually

#14     Feb 24, 2007
  5. Relleum

Relleum

I'm still not sure what you are saying. I know how to open multiple charts of a particular stock, and configure them to the timeframe, interval, etc that i want. The question is, how can i double click a symbol and have three predefined, templated charts of both types (intraday and historical) open simultaneously?

There are two icon buttons that i dont know how to use, despite reading the help sections: the crosshair and the pushpin. This is incredibly frustrating, and more so, incredibly embarrassing because I am a computer programmer :(

#15     Feb 24, 2007
  6. mjh

mjh

If you e-mail Jerry Medved @support@quotetracker.com

Jerry will probably write back in ten minutes even if its' Sunday night. The guy is unbelievable and is the epitome of customer service.

If he doesn't answer your questions writer of PM me and I'll get you set up.

#16     Feb 24, 2007
  7. I think its well described in some manual somewhere, but I'll try to explain anyway.

Once you opened your three charts for the same stock and changed the charts' parameters and timeframes and indicators and colors and whatever, you go to the pushpin symbol for every chart and change it to the same color for all three charts. Now, when you change the pushpin in the portfolio to that same color, whenever you click ONCE on a stock all three charts will change to that stock.

Actually I don't like that behavior very much and have the puspin in the portfolio deselected. Instead I click-drag a stock to ONE of the three charts and all three will change to that stock.

Double-clicking a stock will always open a new intraday chart for that fund.

The colored crosshairs are used in similar way to link the chart-crosshair so that yhet will move synchronized. Very handy when you have a normal 5-min chart and a volume-bar charts open.

Hope this helps.

Ursa..

#17     Feb 24, 2007
  8. Relleum

Relleum

Thank you very much, I finally figured it out with your explanation.

Part of the problem was that i was messing around with this on saturday night, and IB wasn't letting me log in, so I wasn't getting any data while testing the different configurations.

I *love* your suggestion about dragging and dropping to a set of linked charts. I have arranged 5 "slots" (each with multiple charts), and i just drag and drop whatever 5 symbols im most interested in. I've attached a screenshot so that you can see my configuration. You'll see that there are two main vertical slots on the left, each with two intraday charts and one historical charts. Lesser priority stocks can go in one of the three smaller horizontal slots on the right, which have 1 intraday, and 1 historical.

Even with a 24" (1920x1200) lcd, I'm contemplating a second one because I could easily fill more real estate. I need space for my Level II windows!

#18     Feb 25, 2007
  9. Good to hear, nice setup too. One more thing, you can drag the titlebars beyond the screen-edge and, but that is a matter of taste, I always let the other titlebars overlap the horizscrollbar of the chart above it. It's not much but it saves some screen real-estate.

Have fun and good trading,

Ursa..

#19     Feb 25, 2007
  10. Wow...sounds like you got hand of it now...Majorursa did a great job explaining.

Now what parameters did you set for your charts? I have only 3 charts with time frames..
    just curous what you are using.

#20     Feb 25, 2007