IB Chart Feature

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by toudeppots, Jan 14, 2006.

1. CONR

CONR

Those were my thoughts.

#21     Jan 14, 2006
  2. EnzoF

EnzoF

I have used a variety of software applications, including eSignal, etc and if you don't need automation or backtesting, I would highly recommend Quote Tracker for many types of trading.

If you are using it with IB or MB Trading, you will still need to subscribe to backfill market data, so you should factor that in to your thinking. I use IQFeed and it is like $20 a month or so for real-time and backfill equity data.

It takes a little bit of time to get accustomed to QT and get it all set up, largely because it is so customizable. After getting it all set up and familiar with it, I have had no serious problems at all. And on the rare occasion I have had a question about something, I sent an email to the QT and got a generous reply almost immediately. You can't beat that kind of support (IB, are you listening?)

That said, it has some limitations for certain kinds of trading. For trading futures I like a DOM, and that is missing.

Jerry, any plans for a DOM type entry? That would be a great add. I would much rather use QT for ordering rather than Ninja.

Also, if you scalp multiple stocks and like to have multiple order entry windows open, you my find QT's one order window a limitation. It is pretty quick to use populate with a symbol with CTRL + T, but you can't set up a series of entries in advance like you could with something like other programs.

One last thought, QT offers a free version. And if you are already have an IB account, you can just check it out and see if it meets your charting needs and trading style.

Hope it helps,
    Enzo

#22     Jan 14, 2006
  3. You might consider three other options that work with IB which some prefer to those quoted above.

1) I use SierraChart which is about $9 per month and (imo) has a more useful feature set and to my taste better interface than QT. It also has a LOT of programability if you want to do things the developer hasnt done yet.

2) Quite a few people use Tradestation 2000i with a free datafeed conversion tool. Lots of flexibility here.

3) There is a free program called (i think) ibcharts which has a lot of capability when used with ib.

#23     Jan 14, 2006
  4. DblArrow

DblArrow

Have to agree here with Kiwi....

I have been using Sierra for a number years and have a preference over QT. QT works fine looks fine, comes down to personnal usage taste.

I have also used ibchart (not IB's charts) and found them to be very basic and functional. IB's chart I think are also very basic and hope that they DO NOt decide to become a charting player.

Really comes down to what you want in charts and how much are you willing to pay.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#24     Jan 14, 2006
  5. No way BSAM! IF IB bought QuoteTracker they would never update
    a darn thing on it like the Medved's do. And support wouldn't exist.

It would become a complete disaster. IB would ruin QT for sure.

Gawd I hope def ect., is not reading this thread... :(

Moderator, please delete BSAM's post and this post too...

Before it is too late...:p

#25     Jan 15, 2006
  6. EnzoF

EnzoF

Ain't that the truth!

IB should really be looking to hire Jerry Medved as a consultant, first for their customer support team, then for technology.

Although if I was Jerry I probably wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

#26     Jan 15, 2006