IB CHARGING me interest to hold long-term stocks

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Daal, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Daal

Daal

that net liquidation value I gave is just for the USD part of my account.

#11     Jul 23, 2007
  2. What makes you think they're charging you interest? If you truly think they are, and you think it's incorrect, call customer service and ask about it. But my guess is you aren't being charged interest.

You evidently have a Universal account. The Universal account functions as a margin account. However, if you use less than your cash available to buy stock, you won't be charged interest. If you withdraw less than cash available, you won't be charged interest. I believe the leverage factor divided into the securities value equals equity.

OldTrader

#12     Jul 23, 2007
  3. rayl

rayl

Do you have enough CAD so that you are not borrowing CAD?

In the account screen, uner Market Value, for all currencies, is there a value >= 0 in the Cash column?

It's hard to address this question w/o seeing the account details. You should contact customer service.

#13     Jul 23, 2007
  4. Daal

Daal

#14     Jul 23, 2007
  5. #15     Jul 23, 2007
  6. Daal

Daal

I was charged last month. my accrued interest was negative and growing without me doing anything except decresing my USD cash(it never went negative). I had to sell some EUR and CAD to refill the USD account in order to stop it. the customer serviced confirmed that saying it was because I bought more than I had in cash yet I have no idea how to figure out when you go above or below the limit.
    My best guess is even though my cash was positive all month my 'settled' cash was negative, the panel does not show that and it is misleading

#16     Jul 23, 2007