IB charging exchange fees

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tntneo, Nov 2, 2001.

1. emini quotes were frozen or completely off for 10 minutes after the FOMC announcement. Who wants to put on a trade in these conditions? Question : are stop loss activated in case quotes are inaccurate?

#81     Nov 6, 2001
  2. ehlaban

ehlaban

> emini quotes were frozen or completely off for 10 minutes after > the FOMC announcement

No way, they where off much longer. They paused, went on, paused etc for quite a while.

#82     Nov 6, 2001
  3. I agree also, quotes were way behind :mad:

Quotes were on the nail for ES using ravenquote (based on qfeed). This is a little unusual as qcharts (and qfeed) normally are not so reliable in fast markets.
    I found that trades were ok if I used the quotes from ravenquote and entered appropriate limit orders on IB TWS. The orders seemed fast, it was just the quotes that were frozen or delayed.

The $10 is an exchange fee, I am not sure how that will improve the timeliness and supply of quotes to TWS.

On another note, if I am already paying the exchange fees for other charting software, is it neccessary to pay them on IB also?

Stuart

#83     Nov 6, 2001
  4. Turok

Turok

I agree on the quality of quotes this afternoon -- trades were fine, but quotes were significantly behind. It was a serious pain in the a**. For the stocks I trade, it was the first time I've had this problem (didn't experience it at earlier FOMC moments).

JB

#84     Nov 6, 2001
  5. A couple more days like today and I will have to rethink if IB is reliable enough for futures trading. I can see Lev II or options quotes getting backed up but not the mini's, particularly since QCharts was on the money all afternoon. This is hardly the first screw-up IB has had lately either. Totally unacceptable.

#85     Nov 6, 2001
  6. Hrr

Hrr

Saschabr - Yes, $50 commish to waive fees for futures account would be no problem. The point is, all accounts should be waived with X amount in commissions generated if, as I suspect, IB's problem is really about supporting the cost of inactive accounts. I have emailed IB management on this issue.. no reply yet.

However, today the IB data feed was basically lagged useless from the fed announcement until the end of the day. This is not the first occurance of seriously frozen/lagged data with a sudden burst of volume. IB should not even think about charging for such poor data until they can remedy what appears to be a capacity issue and guarantee better performance.. IMO.

#86     Nov 6, 2001
  7. Eldredge

Eldredge

These quote delays have become quite a regular problem. It seems that quite often they are worse in the afternoon. It sure would be nice to be able to rely on what is displayed on TWS with confidence and not have to waste time double checking quotes.

#87     Nov 6, 2001
  8. I look forward to some good news from def.

It's not just the money that is at issue - it's the principle. Many of us receive our quotes elsewhere from a multitude of vendors such as quote.com etc and don't need IB quotes. Def alluded to this when the issue first came up.

IB shouldn't be paying exchange fees on my behalf when I don't even need IB quotes. The simple solution is for folks who want IB quotes to pay for them - that way IB stops paying unnecessary exchange fees. IB wins and so do we.

And for the folks who want IB quotes and pay for them - something should be done to improve the reliability of the quotes. :)

#88     Nov 7, 2001
  9. def

def Sponsor

i'm not sure how this is going to end up. There has been a decision to allow DDE links into the system which may be a precursor to allowing someone not to subscribe to quotes. However, at this point I'm not sure the system is designed to allow trading without data.

sorry can't offer anything more at this point.

#89     Nov 7, 2001
  10. dlincke

dlincke

Def,

is there an ETA for the DDE link into TWS?

Dave

#90     Nov 7, 2001