IB cash accounts...

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Yoda, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Yoda

Yoda

I just opened a small IB cash account, placed few trades which trimmed my cash buying power until few days passed by.

:( Oh, well, I guess there not much we can do about it after all.

Bob

#51     Sep 22, 2001
  2. This may be a really dumb question, but can I trade stock in foreign markets with IB? I hear a lot about people in other countries trading US markets, but I have never noticed anyone from the US mention they are working foreign markets.

This cash account fiasco is giving me the blues... Does anyone have any ideas for a short term investment vehicle for IRA's? I was kind of excited about the prospects of trading options, but after reading the fine print it looks like regulations make that pretty unappealing.

I guess the regulators want us to buy mutual funds. :mad:

#52     Sep 23, 2001
  3. Yoda

Yoda

Based on text below, brokerages are required to settle trades of securities in 3 days "T-3", is this max or min requrement? The way I see it, brokers can settle trades as fast as they like but no longer than 3 days, which they're planning to shorten. Am I right?

Settling Securities Trades In One Day, T+1
    Since June 1995, the securities industry has been required to settle securities trades (for stocks and bonds) in three business days (reduced from five business days). This settlement cycle is known as "T+3"-shorthand for "trade date plus three days." The SEC is currently working with the industry to shorten the settlement cycle even further-from T+3 to one day (T+1) and to automate each step in the settlement process ("commonly referred to as straight-through processing or STP"). These initiatives should help ensure that the U.S. securities markets are prepared to handle the expected increases in trading volumes and remain the leader in the world's markets. The move to T+1 is currently scheduled for June 2004.

Under a T+1 settlement cycle, investors will probably have to change the way in which they buy and sell securities. For example, investors who hold certificates may have to deliver the certificates to their brokerage firm before their brokerage firm will execute their orders. Investors purchasing securities may need to have funds at their brokerage firm before their brokerage firm will execute their orders.

As is the case with T+3, brokerage firms are required to send funds or certificates "promptly" to customers following the settlement of a trade, but there are no deadlines imposed by federal law or regulations. Brokerage firms will credit your account with sale proceeds as soon as your trade settles. Some brokerage firms provide a service whereby they will immediately "sweep" your money into an account that earns interest. You should ask your broker about how you can assure that all funds and securities are delivered to you promptly.

Over the past year, the Securities Industry Association, a trade group for broker-dealers, has formed several T+1 committees and issued a number of white papers and other reports that focus on various aspects of the settlement process. In addition, The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation also has details about T+1 on its website.

http://www.sec.gov/answers/tradeplusone.htm

#53     Sep 23, 2001
  4. def

def Sponsor

brokershopping,
    UK stocks are available as well as german and swiss via IB. you just need to open a foreign currency account or choose to upgrade to one.

other options available to you are index futures and when they are available for amercians, single stock futures.

Yoda,
    i mentioned this in other posts but a firm can not choose to settle T+1 if the counter party does not settle T+1. Here is an explanation:
    "Regulation T issued by the Federal Reserve Board, and NYSE rules, require that once funds in a Cash Account are spent for a purchase, they may not be spent again. The NYSE has confirmed this, and the fact that all firms are subject to this rule. Therefore, because stock transactions settle in three (3) business days, and because the rules prohibit a customer from making a practice of effecting transactions in a cash account where the cost of securities purchased is met by the sale of the same securities (a practice known as "free riding"), a customer may not receive same day credit for the proceeds from a sale of stock that are to be received in three (3) business days. Rather, credit may only be given on the settlement date for such sales"

#54     Sep 24, 2001
  5. Yoda

Yoda

Def,

You wrote:
    "Regulation T issued by the Federal Reserve Board, and NYSE rules, require that once funds in a Cash Account are spent for a purchase, they may not be spent again. The NYSE has confirmed this, and the fact that all firms are subject to this rule.

Noone is questioning this one.

Therefore, because stock transactions settle in three (3) business days....

This one is under question, since I was really asking for interpretation of SEC T-3 rulling, which really seems like (3) business days are maximum time that should take for the stock to settle, not minimum. But I wouldn't really know, that's why I was asking and since some brokers offer settling funds in real time, they might have interpreted this rule differenly.

Thanks,

Bob

#55     Sep 24, 2001
  6. def

def Sponsor

settlement is T+3. It would be impossible to arrange shorter term settlements with the counter parties of each and every trade.

#56     Sep 24, 2001
  7. Yoda

Yoda

I see I missed a little + sign

If it was so imposible, then how would a possible upcoming T+1 rule allow so?
    http://www.sec.gov/answers/tradeplusone.htm

Settling Securities Transactions, T+3
    Since June 1995, investors must complete or "settle" their security transactions within three business days. This settlement cycle is known as "T+3," shorthand for "trade date plus three days."

T+3 means that when you buy a security, your payment must be received by your brokerage firm no later than three business days after the trade is executed. When you sell a security, you must deliver to your brokerage firm your securities certificate no later than three business days after the sale.

The three-day settlement date applies to most security transactions, including stocks, bonds, municipal securities, mutual funds traded through a brokerage firm, and limited partnerships that trade on an exchange. Government securities and stock options continue to settle as they have in the past, the next business day following the trade.

Click here to read our brochure, About Settling Trades in Three Days: Introducing T+3.

http://www.sec.gov/answers/tplus3.htm

What is exact interpretation of the rule above, this one says that securities have to be settle in no more than three days. That settlement can happen anytime before 3 days, with 3 days as a deadline. It is possible by all the current technology means to settle a trade before that and not many people out there asking for certificates to be mailed to them. If trades do settle before 3 days pass by, which seems possible, does IB credit the account when it takes place?

I guess the whole point is that if waiting till funds settle is the whole goal, which could occur instantly or in one day maybe, so why not credit account when that happens?

There must be another rule I'm missing, for settling trades in no less than 3 days. I really cannot believe that it takes 3 days for each and every trade to settle.

Thanks Def for replies, you input here is really appreciated.

Bob

#57     Sep 24, 2001
  8. def

def Sponsor

1. T+1 would allow cash accounts to be credited on the day after a transaction since funds would settle T+1.

2. T+3: if you purchase a stock, the counterparty does not have to deliver the stock until T+3. If you are short a stock, you most likely will not want to settle a stock earlier than you have to as you would forfeit interest earned. In addition, if you purchase a stock, there may be more than one sellers. What happens is the clearing house becomes the counter party for each trade and will deliver or demand funds from the brokers on settlement day. Thus if a firm allows internal settlement < T+3 the NYSE interprets this free-riding and the account would in essence be a margin account. I'm not sure which thread but candletrader explained this much better than I have a few months ago. If you are still not clear, try a search for his comments.

#58     Sep 24, 2001
  9. Yoda

Yoda

Def,

1. Please read T+3 rule more carefully, it DOES allow stock to settle anytime before 3 days pass by with 3 days as being absolute max. The counterparty does not have to deliver the stock until T+3, but many times it does settle before that, so why not credit those times back to the account?! Isn't that what IB website says: "stock cash accounts may only trade with settled funds..."

2. We're not talking about shorting stocks, since this is a cash account.

3. This is not tied up to margin account and any form of "free riding" because closed trade + settled funds should = available funds in account regardess of time passing by with abosolute max being 3 days, T+3. What does IB do with the funds if they settle before 3 days?

4. CandleTrader did explain it well, and exacly the same thing:

I believe that the "free cash" is the cash in the account not tied up in trades. Once all trades have been closed (I am assuming the user is an intraday trader), all cash funds are available for intraday re-use as many times as the trader wishes. Should the trader with $20k put on one trade of $15k and then put on another one of $18k without closing the first trade, he will be subject to a margin call. Should the $15k transaction be closed prior to the $18k transaction, no margin call will be made.

5. If IB CHOSES not to fund accounts even if funds are allready settled before 3 days, just say so, but don't say that there is somekind of rule that's preventing it or other party not delivering, because we're not talking about non settled funds, but funds that DO settle same day, real-time may be or even in 3 days. How about just letting people know it could take UP to 3 days and whenever it settles, just credit it to the account.

Thanks,

Bob

#59     Sep 24, 2001
  10. def

def Sponsor

yoda,
    i give up. call the NYSE and ask them. read their rules.

i'm not involved with US clearing but I can attest in Hong Kong and Australia where there is T+2 and T+3, you do not receive or pay to the clearing house funds until settlement day. On rare occasions you can make an exception to settle on T+1 but the counterparty must agree and paper work must be completed. I do not see why the US would be different.

i was referring to candletraders comments way back on how any firm offering real time settlement was in fact offering margin.

IB was one of the few firms offering real time updates of purchasing power in cash accounts up and until the ruling. you imply it is changing the policy as a cheap way to make money - your comments are way off base. you seem to get the impression that there is a ton of interest float earned on these trades - wrong. IB is a member of the NYSE - it must follow their rules.

#60     Sep 24, 2001