IB: can't trade Canadian stocks ???

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by d9d, May 22, 2005.

1. d9d

d9d

whups....I see that we are crossing replies... <g>

I did bring up the TSX page, from the IB 'exchanges' page that jmc pointed me to; and I was able to bring up, for example, Cardero Resources from the entry-field on that page. Great.

Now, I just need to enable that on the main TSW page...

Are commissions different for TSX and/or OTC stocks?

#11     May 22, 2005
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

Obviously what I said did not apply... please ignore me.

#12     May 23, 2005
  3. Have you bothered to read the IB website? I highly recommend it. It might save everyone a few of your questions.

OldTrader

#13     May 23, 2005
  4. d9d

d9d

that's all right spr, I appreciate your trying to help.

Steve, I cannot find a listing in the data-feed subscriptions page for the TSX Venture exchange. Is that data already included in the "Toronto Exchance" subscription?

The web page isn't informative in this regard. It also doesn't include a link, or instructions, for signing up for this exchange.

2nd, what is the procedure for entering a TSX-Venture symbol into TWS? Again, the webpage about the exchange does not provide any info on how to enter symbols.

3rd, what is the procedure for entering a symbol into TWS for an OTC;BB stock? The page for Knight again does not provide instructions.

thanks very much!

#14     May 23, 2005
  5. d9d

d9d

thank you so much.

Yes, I've attempted to use the IB website many times. However...

a) the site has a number of problems working with Firefox browser. IB response: "switch to IE".

b) the site is bloated with useless and unnecessary graphics, making it PAINFULLY slow to load pages over a rural modem; which is ALL that is available at the minesite where we are currently working.

c) I have communicated with IB several times about these issues over a 2 year period; begged them to retain a "text only" site for mobile and remote-location customers; and have received only a negative attitude in return. i.e.: "switch to IE". "get DSL". ...and other similarly useless and unresponsive replies.

d) one can read the website all day long, but one will STILL not have the answer when the information ISN'T THERE. Which appears to be the case for SOME information. For example, the webpage describing the Canadian exchange does NOT tell how to enable the service; nor does it describe how to enter symbols into TWS. Ditto for the Knight page regarding the OTC stocks.

Apparently, my initial post/question was indeed outdated; as they have added the TSX since I last inquired directly.

However, I have now moved on to trying to determine how to USE that exchange, since the webpage that I was directed to does NOT include that information.

Thank you again for such a helpful contribution to that quest.

#15     May 23, 2005
  6. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

d9d,
    You will need to be able to find a way to access our website. You can download the trading software onto your PC, and it doesn't requite much bandwidth to access and trade. However, functions such as funds and banking, market data requests, trading permissions are all accessed via the Account Management menu which you will need to access via the website. I've just tested IE6, MyIE2 and Firefox. All of which can access our site and the account management menu.

Adding symbols and requesting market data information is all available via our User Guide and Tutorials. I must encourage you to read these, and would strongly advise not to use us if you have not.

Under the Software Section of our website you can access the following:
    Reference >> TWS Users Guide - this gives a complete guide to everything
    TWS Quickstart Guide - gives a brief overview
    Interactive Tours - is an online tutorial
    There is also a symbol search function available from our homepage.

TSX Venture data is included in the Toronto Exchange feed.

#16     May 23, 2005
  7. d9d

d9d

morning Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned earlier, I signed up with IB 2 years ago. I've had TWS on my laptop throughout that period, and have very few problems with bandwidth in that regard. The issue is with the website.

It would be good if the Toronto exchange page specifically said what you stated here; i.e. that the Venture is included.

I will look in the guide for info on how to structure the symbols.

How long has the TSX-Venture been available at IB ?

thanks again

#17     May 23, 2005
  8. vetten

vetten

please please dont buy data on the Canadian markets from IB.

I subscribed in April and it was chaos......only part of the orders were showing in the trading book in all the codes and I couldnt trust anything.
    I complained to IB and they are having problems with the platform and working on it.
    But if your platform is not working as it should be, I dont have to pay for the useless data? Ofcourse you do they said.

Also that all the codes in Knights book concerning the OTCBB stocks can be traded is not true.
    On the platform you can type in a code like CORRE which is in the Knight book and it does come up, but you cant trade it.
    I suppose you can only trade OTCBB stocks with at least a certain
    share price.

Hope this helps

#18     May 25, 2005
  9. d9d

d9d

thanks Vetten.

I too am pretty disappointed with IB's handling of OTCBB stocks.

I have tried to buy GPXM three days in a row now. Each time, I have entered a price higher than the bid showing; and although my order changes to 'green', i.e. xmitted and accepted, it never even shows up on the bid.

While asking about a Canadian-stock issue today, also asked about this otcbb problem, but customer service didn't bother answering that question.

sigh...

#19     May 25, 2005
  10. vetten

vetten

your bid not showing is quite usual with otcbb stock.
    too much is still manually done by the market makers.

if you want market data for the Canadian market, just have a look at www.stockhouse.ca

happy trading:p

#20     May 25, 2005