IB built in charting

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dhale75, May 5, 2006.

1. see some charting services like Qcharts are not really IB charts, they're just integrated with IB...just like eSignal is. But some times there may be a lag on their end. Qcharts is actually put out by lycos. Not sure about the rest... but from what i understand IB doesn't have their own charting.... they just integrate it with other providers.

#11     May 5, 2006
  2. nah, they developed 'em themseves, dav is responsible for design'n'improvements; check out da website, might be written somewhere.

#12     May 5, 2006
  3. I agree with bit and OW... the broker feed is fantastic at IB. At the very least the charts represent executable pricing. The analysis features are raw, but for daytrading the charting is acceptable, provided you're not interested in running indicators as the intraday data is limited to a week at 30min bars/candles. Sub-30m data is limited to 2 trading days.

Another benefit -- anything you can trade on IB can be charted. Nobody can compete with IB for depth of product.

#13     May 5, 2006
  4. exactly, all da options have also a dedicated multi-timeframes chartin' package...cant get much better than that, innit[?]

#14     May 5, 2006
  5. dhale75

dhale75

Cool,

Thats all I need is something basic with real "real -time" charting and if IB offers this within the TWS, thats all I need. Dont need a whole lot of bells and whistles, cuz I trade mainly watching order flow and pattern recognition, simple 2 and 5 min chart is fine. Thanks

#15     May 5, 2006
  6. Bitstream,

Maybe I have a problem or bad setting on my end, then. When I click a different symbol in the portfolio page, (I have the charts set to change symbols by clicking the dot in the upper right corner to red) I occasionaly have a significant delay before they come up. sometimes several minutes. Once they are up, the seem accurate. Sometimes they never get data, but end up showing the red bar at the top saying it was disconnected. This doesn't happen to you? How can I get it to not happen to me???

An interstign side note, when I fire up quotetracker while IB's charts are stuck, sometimes it will get them started.

#16     May 7, 2006
  7. Then you'll do fine with IB's charts. Good luck.

#17     May 7, 2006
  8. even the IB's chart and Forex are the worst things I like.

Simply there is not a better broker than IB in the market.

#18     May 7, 2006
  9. does it cause same delays if u load 'em from other than da porfolio page[?] i always load 'em from default page'n'not a prob.
    in da past i experienced tough delays meslef but that was because of me computer lack of memory, 'ol java'n'ol panther....cpu waz maxed most of da times. now, after i upgraded to 756mb, tiger'n'new java it takes around 5sec or less to load up 1. i recall sometimes gettin' that message 'bout server disconnected but that was usually day after upgrade...not noticed that in a while.

#19     May 7, 2006
  10. I am a big IB fan. No doubt about it. As a brokerage

But their charting imo is horrid. I chart with Quotetracker. I can design my own indicators (program them via paintbars), fully customize and modify timeframes, chart type, etc. on the fly, link several different charts together, etc etc etc

IB charts suck ;p

#20     May 7, 2006