IB Best Java Version

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by patch227, Oct 23, 2007.

1. I also rolled back to java 1.5_12. Problem w/ settings windows lagging when opened the first time after startup w/ 1.6.

#11     Oct 24, 2007
  2. rwk

rwk

I rolled back to 1.5.0_13 just yesterday to try to fix a disconnect problem. The older version did not fix the problem, but I noticed the TWS seems to load faster. That's the only difference I have noticed so far.

Here is the link to Java:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

[rwk]

#12     Oct 24, 2007
  3. I've been using the LATEST Java as they come out and have had no problems.

No disconnects, nothing.

So there it is.

User error.

#13     Oct 24, 2007
  4. Yes, but unfortunately, you're the exception. It seems many others have witnessed definite problems with JDK 1.6.

#14     Oct 24, 2007
  5. JackR

JackR

TWS has many features. It would be interesting to know what feature(s) the pro and con Java 1.6 commentors use.

I am a pro commentor - I use
    1) Basic TWS trade screen to enter "swing trade" equity and option limit orders on the buy and sell side.
    2) Occasional use of Book Trader to enter Globex index future trades.
    3) API interface for high speed scalping using a specially designed scalping tool (Java 1.6_03) that enters market or limit orders and immediately\automatically enters sell and stop loss orders on opening of the position.

I have had no problems with any of the above using 1.6_03.

I have seen TWS version problems but they did not go away by reverting to Java 1.5_11/12. They cleared when IB fixed the TWS. I normally use the latest TWS in my paper trading account to ensure the features I need still work. Then I migrate, saving the old TWS install file.

Jack

#15     Oct 24, 2007
  6. Bob111

Bob111

it's doesn’t matter. if you complain about something-most likely ithey will blame java anyway. so if you say-my TWS is freezes, next question will be-whay java version did you use? if answer is 1.5-they they will say-ohh.. too old, switch to 1.6+. if you say-1.6-then they say-we only support 1.5+
    imo-the bottom line-if TWS works fine on whatever version you are using-stick with it and don't do any updates on both java and tws

#16     Oct 24, 2007
  7. I too am a happy exception

1.6_03 and all is well.

There seems to be a misconception here that you have to get rid of 1.6 to run tws on 1.5. Wrong.

You can install both and then modify the tws command line to call the java version you want:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.0.jar;jfreechart-1.0.0.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Xmx256M jclient/LoginFrame C:\Jts', 'C:\JTS'

for example uses java 1.5.0_11

The user just has to locate the directory the 1.5 version of javaw.exe is stored in and then substitute that in the line calling TWS.

#17     Oct 24, 2007
  8. Can you imagine doing this for 20 Java apps ?
    Pity that Sun didn't come-up with a better mechanism to allow quick switching of JVM versions under Windows.
    (Note: the Java control panel app only appears to do this; it doesn't really work).

#18     Oct 25, 2007
  9. rwk

rwk

Is there any advantage to version 1.6?

[rwk]

#19     Oct 25, 2007
  10. It's faster. Java VM releases are almost always backwards compatible at least 3 versions, if not more. It takes forever to get something deprecated out of the base jre.

That being said, you can upgrade to the new versions of the jre without breaking a thing. I've been writing java apps and doing this for 12 years.(writing since 1.0, worry-free upgrades since 1.2)

The only reason it would break is if someone hardcoded something foolish in the code.

#20     Oct 25, 2007