IB backfill is terrible!

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by surfer25, Oct 14, 2008.

1. donnap

donnap

TWS is no longer workable for me. The latest snafu is that it's doubling the size of the trades in the trades window.

Have to verify positions in the account window or on a trading page and hope that these are accurate.

In this market it's easy for me to lose track of things and a quick check to verify trades is nice, but when TWS started doubling trade size it was initially confusing.

Er, trading is difficult enough IB.

#51     Oct 17, 2008
  2. sibrag

sibrag

I agree, and that's a bitch. I've been using these idiots for ~4 years, mostly as a backup brokers, and exclusively for my futures acct. Also agree with this being their first "major" fuck-up, the problem being, I stopped keeping track of blown deals at $30k. I took some time off, so I need to completely review ALL of my options.

FWIW, I used RealTick for ~10 years, and I knew their infrastructure better than most of their employees and although they were considered among the "premiere" data vendors, they too sucked. FOMC announcements were suicidal to trade. Finally, due to a number of reasons, this spring I bid them a heart felt fuck-off and dropped them. I hear that they've been rock solid since, including at the height of the volatility. I only could vouch for how solid they were through April, and they were rock solid.

Yeah, doesn't he look in pain? Or perhaps trying to keep a straight face. I venture to say he is someone who went REG-T by $1, and IB blackmailed the slob: either we dump your portfolio at the market in "pre-market", OR you can lie your ass off in a commercial for us !!!!? Clearly, no one in good conscience could lie his ass off like that shlamil ........

#52     Oct 17, 2008
  3. JackR

JackR

DAV:

Will the new platforms be up and running at the Open on Monday or installed on Monday and running ASAP?

Jack

#53     Oct 17, 2008
  4. rc5781

rc5781

I don't trust DAV, he might be the guy who says "all IB systems are operating normally" when they obviously are not....

#54     Oct 17, 2008
  5. Syprik

Syprik

Like I said, the only recent Globex backfill and certain customer service calls have been sub-par. All else very pleased for my time with them. Fact of the matter is you can't expect perfection from any of the online brokers. There is no better jack-of-all trades online broker. Have backup feeds and a backup broker with enough capital to make a safe hedge in case #1 goes down. All part of this business.

#55     Oct 17, 2008
  6. Syprik

Syprik

Please don't be a dunce. This backfill problem started occuring mid-Sept after the first major chaos started to hit the markets. Is it not of any importance to you that this issue is isolated to Globex and not other exchanges like ECBOT?

Fact of the matter is IB tech support is poorly informed and we don't get a consistent answer. Of the three folks I've talked to over the last week, only one of them had a clue. His answer was exactly what this DAV poster from IB is saying. Reading some of these other posts blaming TWS or claiming a revision will fix the problem doesn't make sense. How could this be a TWS issue when the standalone 88 was working perfectly fine from the intial install? This is clearly a data/data vendor issue.

#56     Oct 17, 2008
  7. rc5781

rc5781

I won't be a dunce if you won't be a douche....

The problems have only gotten worse lately. They have ALWAYS had problems with the load on their system. Their system can't handle the number of customers they have, it's that simple.

#57     Oct 17, 2008
  8. I didn't read the whole thread, but if you're suggesting that IB's data problems including problems with backfill started last month, then please - don't be an ass.

Try using the search function here, it cures foot-in-mouth disease before it has a chance to flare up.

As I said in the other thread, anyone who says they're trading full-time intra daya and relying on IB data is a fool. I don't expect IB to provide me with an enterprise-quality data feed for free.

#58     Oct 17, 2008
  9. sibrag

sibrag

Have you noticed the plethora of other posts on this subject?

Many day traders require ACCURATE up to the minute charts in order to conduct business/trade. W/o that requirement I cannot trade. If I cannot trade, why do I need a broker?

When I chose IB, as one of my brokers, the adjectives you outlined were taken into consideration, but once they no longer apply, and they in fact cost me money, I sure as hell have every right to complain about it, as well as to make others aware of it.

Just because I paid the commissions for the past 4 years fills, never went REG-T etc etc, employing your logic, it is safe to assume to expect IB to let me slide this week should I blow my margins, and come short in my acct balance. After all, what the hell, I've been a good and loyal customer for 4 years, kept a considerable balance in their coffers etc etc ........!!!

Sorry to disappoint you, in IB brand Kool-aid not being a drink I take to, anymore more than I take kindly to being lied to when told "this is the first we heard of", or treated condescendingly, when asking questions the honest answers I am entitled to.

HOWEVER, I would have been more understanding were they to come out and informed us, just as soon as it became obvious that indeed there is a problem, extending us the courtesy of a heads up. At that point I would have had the choice to stay on, open elsewhere for a while ...... whatever.

For some of us trading is a source of income and putting food on the table, and having missed out the opportunity of a life time, on top of having to trade (gamble more like in the recent 2-3 weeks) with a limping platform, is not something which will send me doing cart wheels.

Your pontification of IB makes it sound as if we should be happy, honored and humbled by IB allowing us the privilege of depositing our $ with them, and allowing us to pay them commissions for executing and clearing our trades. I guess some of us feel different - again, just read how many have complained about this problem, on this and other related threads.

Just because GM has many credentials under their name over ~100 years, it will not stop me from pointing to their bad brakes on a recent model I may happen to own, along with others!!!!

#59     Oct 17, 2008
  10. Thanks for the update DAV.

TraderNik, as recession bites and people realize how much money they've lost in the markets and on their houses we can expect a contraction in the number of people trading.

On the bad side that will reduce liquidity and daily ranges. As well as creating personal and family misery. But on the upside it will reduce strain on IB's systems so those who remain (90% of et'ers do fuck off after a year or so) will get much better services from IB. Every cloud has a silver lining :)

#60     Oct 17, 2008