IB backfill is next to useless. Takes 45 seconds+ to fill a simple 1 stock request.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by stock777, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Anybody have any comment on using MBTrading backfill? Or do they even offer it?

#11     Jan 4, 2007
  2. I don't get to use colorful terms very often, sorry. It is just that IB locked up when I would apply so many charts to it. It could not handle having that much information sucked out of it from one source.

It isn't my computers either. I run a Dual core AMD 4800 with 2 gig of RAM and the only program running on the system at the time was IB and MultiCharts. I currently run eSignal and MultiCharts and have over 13 workspaces and 60 charts open and no hiccups whatsoever. My internet is cable based and I'm running 4 to 5 meg up and down.

You said you haven't observed a problem with the quotes, may I ask when the last time you did a side by side, tick for tick comparison of the data? Also, how many markets and separate contracts months do you watch at one time?

#12     Jan 4, 2007
  3. Catoosa

Catoosa

Relleum:

I have been using RealTick 3 data and software for 8 years and would not want to trade without it. The cost is $250 per month plus exchange fees. CQG, eSignal, and TradeStation would also do what is needed. I have not used QuoteTracker but from what I have read about it here on ET, I do not think it would not meet my requirements. I tried Ensign and it fell far short of my needs. When I have my money on the table, I want all of the information I can get displayed the way I want it. My big expense is not the cost of the data and software but my losses when I am on the wrong side of a position.

#13     Jan 4, 2007
  4. I concur. My trading bill for feed and internet for all of my systems is about $1300 a month for which I have budgeted a half day's trading. The biggest expense is bad or inconsistent data.

#14     Jan 4, 2007
  5. I've run Quotetracker off of IB for years, and never had a problem related to the number of 'charts' that I had open. I also draw data into Excel on the SAME machine from the same TWS simultaneously. Never a problem with quotes. And this is on a box quite a bit slower than yours.

imo, the quote feed, other than the fact that some ticks are aggregated, is as fast as I've seen. Very hard to compare with only one setup in any case.

The backfill issue is unrelated to the speed of the quote servers. Some fills are fast, some seem to take forever. Not asking for 5 years of tick data, we are talking about 1 bars minute for a few days, a trivial amount of data.

The new method of dropping requests over a certain amount, should be making things better, but I don't see it.

#15     Jan 4, 2007
  6. I think you should mention you've had a case of the ass at IB for some time now....you are hardly an unbiased source of information.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with IB QUOTES. Never used the charts. There is a distinction there.

OldTrader

#16     Jan 4, 2007
  7. My questions were simple and, I thought, clear.

You said you haven't observed a problem with the quotes, may I ask when the last time you did a side by side, tick for tick comparison of the data? Also, how many markets and separate contracts months do you watch at one time?

I ask this because unless you checked the data, side-by-side, you would not KNOW OR BE AWARE of a problem. Also, are you aware of how the data is aggregated specifically? I am.

I run a minimum of 120 days of data per chart and utilize volume bars which are processor intensive. In my specific, highly objective and regulated charting environments I can not use IB because it can not handle my applications.

Even if it could I would not use them because of their, IMHO, total disregard to customer service. I was recently at a friends home and she had trouble with a small order she placed. After being hung up on twice and finally talking to someone that could help her, it was 1 hour and 45 minutes later. I trade size and the first time this would happen to me I would be on a plane with a bat in checked luggage. IB is concerned with quantity not quality. I require quality.

#17     Jan 5, 2007
  8. Unbiased . . . absolutely not. Fair . . . absolutely.

If their data integrity improved and they learned how to provide customer service, I would be the first one out there touting their product because it would be a cost effective alternative to what is already out there.

I simply require accurate quality data and service and they can not provide that. I choose to pay more for the quality of data and service that makes me more comfortable in my trading decisions. The more comfortable and confident I am with the products I use, the less stress I endure and the more consistent I trade. To me, quality is worth the little extra cost. IMHO, if you wish to deal with the idiosyncrasies of inconsistent data and near nonexistent support, that is your prerogative. This is why we have restaurants from McDonalds to Bern's . . . something for everyone's needs.

When did demanding quality and service become a bad thing?

#18     Jan 5, 2007
  9. dude, I have my own complaints about some of the data issues, but you are off base here.

Who cares how many bars you watch. Once the data is loaded, theres no stress on TWS, its your charting app. Something wrong with your setup.

Now, I have another beef. IB is randomly assigning THIRTY SECOND volume update lags to symbols.

Every day I see this on different symbols. Today ERTS is farked.

I've complained about it, but never get an explanation .

#19     Jan 5, 2007
  10. GTS

GTS

#20     Jan 5, 2007