IB Asia market access

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Svalbards, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Will IB step up their market access in Asia at some point?
    access.png Commision.png

2. only india has low commission

3. I'm pretty sure that IB has access to the Korea Stock Exchange (KSE). I'm trading futures there via IB.

4. Boom/Monex is Parent company of Tradestation Securities In Florida US. I wonder Why they don't make available all these international markets with Tradestation platform ?

5. def

def Sponsor

It is largely a matter of demand, cost access and FX. We are looking into a few of the markets but we are not going to do it unless we can provide a reasonable FX quote. On top of the huge fees you post that the others offer, you leave out the large markups on converting to the local currencies that many if not all of those in your table tack on when you get in and get out - as large as 100 pips a side.

comagnum and Obelixtrader like this.
  6. @def thanks for feedback.
    Yes I do realize the FX charges are large still at the other firms.
    You would figure in 2021 we should have access to reasonable FX quotes in such a populated part of the world.
    What markets are you looking into?

7. Fain

Fain

They're looking at Taiwan, South Korea, and Thailand.

8. Better somewhat higher currency spreads or fees, than no access at all. I am a big IB fan, but had to move part of my assets to Boom as I wanted to invest in the South Korean stock market. Boom in Hong Kong works pretty well for South Korean stocks, including the currency conversion. Why can't IB do what Boom can do? (I think IB could do better!) The South Korean brokers are much cheaper than Boom, but account opening is a bit cumbersome. I would be glad to know if IB is still working on South Korea, so that I can plan accordingly for my other accounts. thanks!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  9. Fain

Fain

Agreed. Choice is better than no choice. Even if Pricing is not uniform across asia.

10. def

def Sponsor

We could do what boom does but there are many factors including cost, priority, resources and demand. It's on the radar but will honestly be driven by institutional demand. Given what you are surely giving up on FX, stamp and commission, I suspect you'll get a much better deal trading the SSF's in Korea which last I checked had solid liquidity.

#10     Jul 21, 2021