IB: Are their connections problems fixed?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by mccoyml, May 5, 2002.

1. mccoyml

mccoyml

I was about to open an account at IB until I read about datafeed and connections problems IB has been having over the past month. Someone said that it was equipment problems at IB. Does anyone know if the problem has been fixed? Is this a firm I should stay away from? Does anyone have other recommendations for brokers without "per ticket" charges? I need a broker that is reliable and what I have been hearing about is not something I could live with.

Mike

2. It had to do with internet routing problems, and in the past week, has been pretty stable (I've gotten disconnected only occasionally - about 1-2x per day) and is almost back to normal.

3. mccoyml

mccoyml

Bungrider wrote: It had to do with internet routing problems, and in the past week, has been pretty stable (I've gotten disconnected only occasionally - about 1-2x per day) and is almost back to normal.

I am aware of the internet problems a few weeks back. That had an impact on more than IB. I was refering to actual hardware problems (eg. earthernet rings) at IB which were in the process of being replaced in the 1st few weeks of April. According to another post, IB admittted the problem and said it would take a few more weeks to correct.

By the way, 1-2 disconnects a day is normal? Is this the web based or standalone software? Does it automatically try to reconnect? Are you aware of the problem right when it happens or only when you try to put on a trade and can not?

4. I think they replaced their switches already. That was the hardware problem. IB alerts you right away when it loses connection by changing color and automatically attempts to reconnect. It behaves the same way on both standalone and browser but standalone is more stable because it isn't in a crash prone browser (so I use standalone).

Normal for me would probably be a short (1 min or less) disconnect 0-4 times per week at most. Of course a lot of this depends on the overall stability of your internet connection and the stability of the route between you and IB. I doubt that any internet based broker can do better than that.

5. Yes, indeed. IB's replacement of their hardware preceded almost immediately their problems with internet routing. Tough luck, guys.

6. m22au

m22au

Is anyone else having problems logging in to IB this morning?

7. Htrader

Htrader Guest

Working fine in Massachusetts. Been rock solid all day.

8. Ok here. (also MA). I haven't had problems for over a week now.

9. Aside from the NYSE routing problems, which have been constantly happening lately, no disconnects today.