IB API questions

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by jimcrist, May 26, 2007.

1. jimcrist

jimcrist

Looks like Schwab's ineptitude will force me to switch from CyberTrader to IB. I've spent alot of time today reading the IB website and searching ET. My system at CyberTrader is fully automated. I use the API to do alot of Primary-Peg with Iceberg/Reserve orders on both INET and ARCA. I'm averaging 777,000 shares/month, so I gotta use unbundled rates. Now I see that directed API orders do not qualify for unbundled rates (why the hell not?). I don't mind using smart orders as long as they're Primary-Peg with Iceberg/Reserve orders. Is this going to be a problem??? Also, can I check my margin limits via the API? Can I check the number of shortable shares via API? And request more via a programmed message if I need more? Thanks for your help!

2. Tums

Tums

3. i am under the impression there is no way learn if there is shortable shares through the API until you've submitted an order to short and it fails. In TWS itself i believe there is a color coded indicator which shows available shortable shares.