IB API documentation

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Maharaja, Dec 4, 2006.

1. If you were to make two requests for the same contract, with one originating from an API client and the other from the TWS, this would count as two separate market data feeds. API clients have no way to access the currently requested data on the TWS.

#11     Dec 7, 2006
  2. I hope IB would consider changing this sometime in the future. From an outsiders viewpoint it really doesn't make a lot of sense for TWS and API to use separate tick streams for an instrument.

#12     Dec 7, 2006
  3. dcraig,

Is that an issue for you because of the number of issues you follow, or because of differences in the data sent to TWS vs your charting program?

I admire your work in Jcharts so much I've been thinking of working up my Java programming to be able to do something similar, and would like to know what issues I might face (apart from a lot of work learning how to do it!).

#13     Dec 7, 2006
  4. I just saw this new PDF today. I am having it printed today. Thanks a lot!

#14     Dec 7, 2006
  5. Hi,

I am not familiar with APIs, but wanted to know if there is a possibility to a place bracket orders automatically with only entering a price. The orders then will appear in TWS.

For example:

I want to generate a bracket order for the emini SPX future (ESH7) with predifined parameters (+-6) from an entered price. For ESH7
    will be + - 6pts from the entered price (1400).

1) The API will ask me a price for the ESH7
    2) I type in 1400
    3) the Api generates the follwoing orders:

Buy ESH7 @ 1394.00
    Sell ESH7 @ 1396.00 (bracket order)

Sell ESH7 @ 1406.00
    Buy ESH7 @ 1404.00 (bracket order)

I do not want the stop loss of the bracket order.Is this possible?
    How should I do it with VBA, java? Could someone show me the correct path...

Regards

JB

#15     Mar 5, 2007
  6. I do not know of any good documentation for the API that hasn't already been provided. However, if you are looking for tutorials to show you how to connect to the TWS in c++,java,visual basic, or c# then I recommend this website. http://www.stockbotprogramming.com

The tutorials are rather basic, but make it really simple to get connected and started with the API. After getting connected, it should be fairly straight forward to make other API calls from just reading the TWS API documentation.

Tutorials detailing more complex aspects of the api such as getting quotes, historical data, placing orders.. etc should be up on that page in the next few weeks.

#16     Apr 24, 2007
  7. #17     Jul 27, 2013
  8. lwlee

lwlee

Lol, look at the post date before replying.

#18     Jul 27, 2013
  9. I did look. This topic does not "expire" (fortunately).

#19     Jul 27, 2013
  10. lwlee

lwlee

It was very nice of you responding to 6 year old threads. So giving of your time.

#20     Jul 27, 2013