IB and Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by zoner89131, Dec 7, 2008.

1. dam5h

dam5h

svrart, what do you use for charting in linux?

IB charts leave much to be desired in my experience, plus from what understand they aren't even realtime

#11     Jan 13, 2009
  2. svrart

svrart

i trade longer time frames and find ib charts to be adequate. if you are running windows based software its possible on ubuntu by installing a windows emulator such as Wine. I havent used it but have heard good things about it.

Good luck.

#12     Jan 13, 2009
  3. dam5h

dam5h

right on, long time frames are prob the way to go if you got the capital. i would actually suggest folks use virtualization (kvm, vmware, virtualbox) on something as critical, I haven't used Wine in a while but it always seemed to have some issues.

currently i chart though my accounts with TOS, which has a great platform but unfortunately no api. which is why i'm starting to look elsewhere.

so 64 bit java 6 is the jvm of choice for those using tws? i've heard chatter about java 5 being better, but can't find a good reference for why.

as a side note i prefer opensuse to ubuntu, i suggest those new to linux give it a shot. seems a lot of folks think ubuntu is the only slice of linux around, that's def not the case; there are tons.

#13     Jan 13, 2009
  4. wenzi

wenzi