IB and Reuters News Feed

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hektor, Aug 28, 2007.

1. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

If you are subscribed to Reuters in Account Management (premium news service which we have full control over), you get the latest news in realtime mode - they are *pushed* out to you as soon as they become available. We use the same extremely low latency transport for news as we use for market data ticks.

Information from other news providers are delivered via query mechanism, and they remain near realtime. We use query mechanism to get last X stries for Reuters News too, but top news is delivered to TWS as soon as possible (you might need to use TWS 880+ for that)

#41     Mar 31, 2008
  2. Ok, I'm testing this now... my question is how do you have the headlines scroll in one window? It seems like this news feature is setup mainly to show news specifically related to individual securities. This is not very useful to futures traders if you can only see stories related to specific stocks and even then you only see a few headlines at a time. Am I missing something?

Also, I think the smallest interval you can pull stories with Reuters News on IB is 1 minute. I am also testing out Reuters real-time on Quotecenter and there can be upwards of 20-30+ stories delivered during a single minute. I don't think this can be considered real-time.

#42     Mar 31, 2008
  3. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

As I explained before, Reuters News are delivered via push (broadcast) mechanism, they are not pulled, and there is nothing for you to configure there.

We don't have news ticker yet. Not sure how useful it is for you to see SBUX news if you are long in AAPL - we group news by companies and related companies - if you are looking at AAPL news, you will receive AAPL, PALM, MSFT and alike (including their suppliers etc). We will implement wide news ticker shortly as there seems to be a demand for it.

#43     Mar 31, 2008
  4. Ok, thanks. You've been helpful. I can see how stock trader might like this but I guess I would have to wait for a news ticker setup rather than individual securities news. Thanks again.

#44     Mar 31, 2008
  5. DST.
    This is just a RSS service. The term real time is misleading. Its a one minute delay. Nothing to do with real time news service.

We are comparing different things here.
    Dowjones news service & reuters provide Real time news services. If you do not want to pay the fee, Etrade & Amtd are the
    closest you can get. IBKR just provides a delayed , RSS service what gives you delayed news on your tickers. No headlines
    on general important news.

#45     Mar 31, 2008
  6. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

1) Look at the attached picture - if you have "Reuters News Services" checked than you have this service activated.

2) If you have the above, and your TWS version is fairly new, open a page with many tickers, any market scanner will do ("most active" is my favorite). Add News columns and watch the data flow instantaneously. There is no way RSS pull mechanism provides you with this speed.

#46     Mar 31, 2008
  7. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

By the way, we do provide DJ news services for free (in addition to Reuters): in TWS, right click on any stock, go to Analysis - News and Research, you will be taken to the special page with all related news for this product.

#47     Mar 31, 2008
  8. I am not sure why you keep misleading people here.

ITS A DELAYED news service. Thats what it is. Read my posts.

I have IBKR and direct subscriptions to dow jones and reuters. Your reuters feed is delayed, not the complete thing and useless.

#48     Mar 31, 2008
  9. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

The feed is realtime.

Can you please clarify what exactly "IBKR" you have? (version will be good enough)

Also, feel free to PM me your account info, and I'll double check if you have this service activated in your account. If so I will ask someone to follow up with you. Thank you.

#49     Mar 31, 2008
  10. stevenao

stevenao

I think it is about $130/m. IBKR's newsfeed is truly a joke. I can't believe they offer something like that and even ask people for 2 dollars.

Have any of you tried DJ news free from Scottrade? How is it compared to DJ newswires service?

#50     Mar 31, 2008