IB and Reuters News Feed

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by hektor, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mwerbe

mwerbe

you get dow jones news for free if you are an apex trader which means you make 5 trades a month or $50, if you have an ameritrade account but aren't an apex user you can get it for $30 per month. Interactive Brokers offers you a deal for reuters news headlines for $2 per month (non-pro, $65 if registered as a professional and reuters fundamentals is new for $10 per month through ib not sure exactly what it is

#31     Mar 28, 2008
  2. "you get dow jones news for free if you are an apex trader which means you make 5 trades a month or $50, if you have an ameritrade account but aren't an apex user you can get it for $30 per month. Interactive Brokers offers you a deal for reuters news headlines for $2 per month (non-pro, $65 if registered as a professional and reuters fundamentals is new for $10 per month through ib not sure exactly what it is"

You are comparing different products. Interactive brokers only offers an delayed RSS feed. The delay is one minute or more and you see only the alerts on the stocks you have setup. Dowjones on Ameritrade (& Etrade) is delayed.

#32     Mar 29, 2008
  3. mwerbe

mwerbe

My understanding was that IB was working to get the reuters feed closer to real time than one minute although I can't really compare it to anything since I don't subscribe to a seperate reuters feed. As for Ameritrade they claim it is real time, it usually seems to be real time in terms of news market effect, could it be a few seconds slow in some instances maybe but its a substantial price improvement over a Bloomberg, Reuters or even subscribing through dow jones directly so I think it would suit most traders needs.

#33     Mar 29, 2008
  4. This is how we compared everything.

We set up etrade, ameritrade (cheapest to get dow news) and Dowjonesnews (direct)

Watching news pass by, the etrade and ameritrade are sometimes up to 3 minutes later then the direct source. If you trade the news and earnings, then it makes a difference.

Thompson financial is pretty close to Dowjonesnews.

IBKR is busy with getting reuters real time, but when? I believe Tradestation provides a subscription, but we do not use tradestation so i can not say.

If anyone has a better and faster news service, please tell. We pay a fortune on the office for the newsservices.

#34     Mar 29, 2008
  5. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

FYI we developed Reuters Realtime news delivery a while ago (at least few month). At the moment we are rolling out Reuters Fundamentals, and will be further enhancing our news/research amenities.

#35     Mar 31, 2008
  6. That's good news. Any plans to add DJ newswires in the future? That would be a good supplement to Reuters if you are able. Thanks.

#36     Mar 31, 2008
  7. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

I don't think that many people will sign up: Reuters and DJ provides mostly overlapping news with somewhat similar speed of delivery; we choose Reuters because of the better international coverage. Also, if memory serves, DJ is expensive, and we won't be able to give it out for free as we do with Reuters.

Please feel free to post this suggestion to our feature poll, depending on the amount of votes we will consider adding it, thanks!
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/poll/poll.php

#37     Mar 31, 2008
  8. Thanks for the reply. Correct me if I am wrong but you do not currently give out Reuters real-time news for free either. I thought it was $65/mo. Has this changed?

#38     Mar 31, 2008
  9. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

#39     Mar 31, 2008
  10. #40     Mar 31, 2008