IB and Margin Requirements question

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by guspenskiy13, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,

I have a quick question in regards to IB - is there a possibility to negotiate a "custom" margin requirement for a specific asset (also, non-US customer)?

It currently has 20% requirement for an instrument that I am interested in. I was wondering, if they ever lower MR on a case by case basis...especially, given the fact that it's a 'fixed-income' with annualized vol sub-6%...

I also have offices of 'big-4' in my country, but I'm not sure if they would agree to deal with $1m portfolio...if anyone has any experience/knowledge with them - I would be happy to hear...

Thanks!

2. Telepuzik

Telepuzik

You are funny

3. prc117f

prc117f

You cannot call IB phone numbers? You should be able to call them and ask them these questions. This website is not associated with IB and does not provide technical or sales support.

I would recommend you call them and ask those questions.

MoreLeverage, truetype and Overnight like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

This.

5. Try portfolio margining offered by IB, that greatly enhances leverage.

6. Sig

Sig

Spoken like someone who clearly has never called and dealt with IB's version of "customer service". Let us know how that call works out for you.

guspenskiy13 and murray t turtle like this.
  7. %%
    I like good customer service;
    but good help is very expensive.Good thing IB is reliable+ has low commissions, because real good customer service[human help] is real expensive.Last time i looked, IB recommended 2 brokers anyway.

8. Thanks for the replies. They've basically said that this deal couldn't be pre-arranged, and I should contact them again, after I establish the account/operations.

I suppose it shouldn't be a problem, unless there is some 'regulation' which prohibits them from doing so...as they offer a CFD w/ 10% margin requirement on the common stock of the same instrument - and I'm only talking about bonds basically.

I'm going to try to ask GS/JPM tomorrow about their capital requirements...not sure if another country would make a difference - in the U.S. they wouldn't even listen to me probably.. :)

Margin Rate is everything IMO. Gives you a lot more flexibility and options, which would be inaccessible for retail...

murray t turtle likes this.