IB and Cable...Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dano, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Dano

Dano

Hi all. Been using IB as my broker...1st with dial up....then isdn. Just signed up with the local cable company for internet service. I tried booting up tws, and computer crashes, or I cannot move cursor on screen with mouse. I looked on IB's website, and they recommend using a 3com 905b tx-nm, or 905c tx-nm inc cards. I looked at the local computer store for a card, and CompUSA has them for $99.99...seems kind of steep for a card. I guess I am asking, anybody have any luck using a different card than the 3com? Thanks a lot

Dano

2. agent99

agent99

I use a Linksys PCMCIA card on my laptop with Roadrunner cable and IB works fine.

3. Dano ----- I've also been able to use an Intel Pro/100 S, goes for between $50 and $55. That and the 3COM 905C are the ONLY cards I can successfully log onto TWS with, having tried at least 5 other ones! It seems you basically get what you pay for when it comes to NIC cards!

4. bouncer

bouncer

I'm using a 3Com 3C950B-TX with no problems. You can probably get one for about $30. I've also run TWS through an Intel ISA nic card. Linksys nic however are a no go.

5. Dano

Dano

Hey, wow, I am impressed with this fast response. I have a Linksys Lan card......Gonna go back to CompUSA with these ideas, and get me a card that works. :) Thanks again, was a big help, and saved me some $'s to boot.

Dano

6. Dano,
    I had problem with Linksys card too. But i replace it with D-Link card. I also has Netgear NIC card that work with TWS.

D-Link or Netgear only cost <$10 per piece

Or you can try running Windows Update, i think it has the lastest driver for that Linksys card. Not sure if that will solve TWS problems.

7. D-Link DFE-530 TX here. Never had a problem.

8. No problems with netgear fa310 or 311

9. Anybody ever had a problem with a cable modem connected thru USB?

voodoo