IB algo for option combos ?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by zdave83, Nov 11, 2019.

1. zdave83

zdave83

Is IB going to extend algos to option combos ? I've submitted that question to IB and get "you can submit an enhancement". Does anyone have a real answer ?

2. I have a hard enough time getting normal fills on option combos tbh.

guru likes this.
  3. guru

guru

Algos to accumulate large order size/qty? Do you trade that many option combos?

4. zdave83

zdave83

I trade a basket of options, mostly spreads, 8-12 separate orders at a time, around 60/40 split of calls & puts, same split under/over the underlying price. Liquidity is good for 80-90% of orders. With that profile ... I've found total entry is very close to aggregate midpoint pricing at the start ... sometimes better, correlated with Delta :) I submit the orders via API, but manage entry/pricing manually ... where's an adaptive algo when you need it. Getting the positions filled takes 1-2 min, but way too many keystrokes/clicks, which means way too much risk of stupid mistakes.

What kind of trades are you placing and what do you think causes the issue with fills ?

5. zdave83

zdave83

See previous post ... plus it's not so much the quantity as it is the need to get them all filled at the same time with as little Delta change as possible.

6. guru

guru

OK, I asked because there could be all kinds of algos and simply asking for "algos" doesn't do any good.
    I sometimes have combo orders for 100+ qty at the price I want and I just wait for fills, sometimes they go through at once, other times through partial fills.
    I'd like something that would keep adjusting the options order price, but the one I've seen was patented by OptionsXpress and later acquired by Schwab, called "Walk Limit" order type.

7. You're right, it takes about 1-2 minutes which to me seems wrong.

8. zdave83

zdave83

Thanks ... I'll check it out.

9. yosuji198

yosuji198

So... is it or is it not possible to use IBALGO for option spreads?

I would also like to know. I don't care about delta or anything fancy. I simply have a spread I want to open at a fair price and for 6 years now I've been manually typing/clicking in price changes.

10. zdave83

zdave83

From what I understand no.

#10     Mar 3, 2020