IB Advisor Friends & Family account

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by NKNY, Oct 14, 2005.

1. NKNY

NKNY

Ok, I opened up my F&F and now have a account number that starts with an F and one with a U. Can I fund and trade the F account or only the U account. Do I need to open another U account in order to have two tradable accounts on one screen...

Thanks

Nick

#11     Oct 24, 2005
  2. You will be trading via your U accounts. The F account should only have a small amount in it to handle various fees, etc.

#12     Oct 25, 2005
  3. NKNY

NKNY

Thanks rtstrading... That what I thought but I wasn't sure.. I wonder if I can move an existing account into the F&F acount

Nick

#13     Oct 25, 2005
  4. Just open a new client account in the FA and then transfer funds to it from your existing U account(non FA account). Been there done it. :)

#14     Oct 25, 2005
  5. When you open a F&F account do they "assume" you are a professional and charge higher fee for data access (professional fee rather than max of $10/account)?

Or, can you still be considered an amateur...?

#15     Oct 25, 2005
  6. You specify if you are a pro or not when you open the account. I have a F&F with 8 sub-accounts but they're all family and believe me -- I'm no pro :D

#16     Oct 25, 2005
  7. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

How does the taxes go for F&F account?

Do all the individuals you are trading for have to list every single trade that you trade for them and shares as if they were trading their own account?

Thanks!

#17     Oct 28, 2005
  8. Yup, there's no escaping the tax man. Of course IRAs are exempt, and if you trade futures those are just reported as a net profit/loss, you don't need to list individual trades.

SSB

#18     Oct 28, 2005
  9. Is it possible for investors in an LLC to each have their money in a separate FF account. This way they would get the mark-to-market treatment of the trading LLC, but via separate accounts.

Also, with regard to data fees. Are they billed according to the advisor's status? If you have a series seven do you have to pay pro data fees?

#19     Nov 22, 2005
  10. With a F&F account , can you charge management fees to the sub accounts? or do you need a pro advisor account to do that ?
    this would be for less than 15 investors of course , non pro status

#20     Nov 28, 2005