IB adds real time charts

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Cdntrader, Mar 6, 2004.

1. it's a conspiracy! lol

Probably the notes are a day or two ahead of the beta version released. Happens all the time.

#11     Mar 7, 2004
  2. Are you kidding? Java is the way to go. It can work on all platforms, unlike Microsoft, which requires Windows. It is also extensible and Open Source. If not Java, then what?

#12     Mar 7, 2004
  3. I do not understand what you guys are saying to each other.

Question:

Is Java better than C++ for trading execution software? Speed, Feel, and reliability?.....

Michael B.

#13     Mar 7, 2004
  4. Out of curiosity, Java isn't true open source is it? A lot of apps built on Java are open source, but you can't open Java up itself can you?

#14     Mar 7, 2004
  5. Java itself is not open source, but it is extensible. The biggest advantage over C++ is that it can be compiled and run over multiple platforms. Many C++ advocates will say this is true about C++, but in real world situations, it simply is not.

The biggest flaw of Java is that since it runs in its own 'virtual machine', it can sometimes be slower than native languages such as C++. However, I typically do not notice any lag, and I personally feel that many companies are moving towards Java and away from more proprietary languages because of the above reasons.

#15     Mar 7, 2004
  6. That's what I thought.

They LOVE Java where I work...

#16     Mar 7, 2004
  7. Pompous anti Java Apple Mac users.

#17     Mar 8, 2004
  8. Don't have anything against Java. I'm for competition and like to see a lot of solutions out there including Java. I think it's good for everyone...

#18     Mar 8, 2004
  9. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

The feature is now accessible from the Beta build (819) for US Stocks (Smart, Nyse, Nasdaq, Amex) and most Globex contracts.

#19     Mar 8, 2004
  10. Hello IBSoft,

do you plan offering historical (tick?) data via IB TWS API ?

As given currently, displaying data inside TWS is nice, but gives no ability to work, backtest or build indicators with this data.

No one would require IB to build a fully featured charting package - but if IB has the data, exporting via API would be great.

#20     Mar 8, 2004